Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:33:56 EDT

Heather in Tampa asked the following question and I have been asked to post
the following response to the list serv.

I would like to know what makes the Outback fries not GF? I was reading one
of Bob Leavy's columns and he said that they were. Does anyone know what the
deal is?

Heather in Tampa

Heather,

Technically they are gf. There is nothing on them that would make them a problem. At
lunch time the restaurants are to start with fresh oil. Since they do not serve
the bloomin onion at lunch or any other fried foods that use the same fryer as
the potatoes, at lunch the fries should be gf. However once dinner starts, the
same oil is used to fry the onions.

Outback made the decision to not label the fries gluten-free to avoid any
possible confusion about cross contamination from the oil.

I want to thank all of you who write in to Outback Steak House. They read
every email and are very excited about this program. They address emails, either
personally or by asking me to respond. Any comments about individual
restaurants are addressed with that restaurant.

I am excited to begin 2 new projects with Outback Corp. and hope that you
will find these new ventures just as useful.

Thank you for all your support in this project.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Gluten Intolerance Group
www.gluten.net