From:
Andy Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:31:08 -0600

The recent query and summary about Brach's candy make me wonder about the effectiveness of the new labeling law.  Traditionally, Brach's was one of the worst companies I have ever tried to get information out of.  Their response to my attempts to find out anything about their products was consistently on the order of "If you have a food allergy, buy someone else's products, because we don't know or will not tell you what is in ours."  Now, I see many of their products (including the aforementioned conversation hearts) with no stated wheat ingredients and no allergen warnings.  One possibility is of course that on January 1, they "got religion" and totally changed their corporate culture and tracked down all of the ingredients from all of their suppliers.  However, it makes me wonder whether, having obtained a labeling law which we all support, we may now have some pretty significant enforcement issues.  I would be interested to hear and summarize others' thoughts on whether we have an enforcement issue and, if so, what pressure we can bear to improve enforcement of the law.

Andy Thomson
Chicago, IL

*******
*******