From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:07:52 -0800

Hi again
A few days ago I raised the issue of "Transient gluten-intolerance"
Rebecca had written that there are two separate condition disease
entities 1) celiac disease (CD) and 2) transient gluten intolerance.
She was quoting Vijay Kumar, Ph.D. (see below for correction)

My concerns were as follows:
whether it is in the best interests of patients with "transient
gluten-intolerance' to stay on a gluten-free diet, or to risk a
recurrence of the condition, with all it's damaging side-effects?
The suggestion that the condition is transient, might imply that once
you are well again you can go back to a 'normal' diet, and if this is
the case, I wonder whether enough is nown about the long-term
implications. Wouldn't a little prevention be better than the cure in
some cases?  With all due respect to the medical community there are
very few experts in this field of research.

There was a significant lack of response to the posting, which
leads me to believe that the condition is little understood.  here are
the three responses:

Nancy wrote: Many many apologies. In my previous post, I said that
the expert advice was Dr. Karoly Horvath.  Brian's (Valerie's)message
says it was another doctor.  I'm very sorry!! I wasn't trying to
misrepresent anyone, I'm just confused! Mea culpa, and many apologies,

From Canada: Thanks for the great post! I think your logic is dead on.

From Wendy: ... I am not a celiac.  But I know if I eat gluten I will
have health problems which will continue to get worse.
I also wonder if I continued to eat gluten (no chance but if I did..)
would I be diagnosed as having adult onset of celiac disease also when
I'm in my fifties??  Along with osteo arthritis, or parkinsons  disease
or.......
When does gluten intolerance become celiac disease.??? Why do I have to
have  a badly damaged gut and really bad health to be fully diagnosed
with celiac disease, when I and my doctor already know a gluten diet
affects my health.???
Can someone clarify this for me.

Thanks to those who responded.
Valerie