From:
nstn4475 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 23:17:53 -0400

Hello
   Our son has recently been eating a lot of corn starch (major ingrediant in
a bread recipie). He has celiac disease & is a major consumer of this bread.

   Our son's behavior has become extremely agitated, angry, aggressive &
moody. The behavior change seems to coincide with the increase in the corn
starch consumed. Nothing has changed in his home/school/social life that
would explain this sudden change that we can determine and our son is not
able to explain this sudden change either.  We haven't any direct reason to
believe that the corn starch has been contaminated by wheat (which can
affect our son's mood too but not to the degree we are seeing at present).

   Is anyone familiar with the symptoms of corn allergy/intolerance?
Anything sound familiar here? Any ideas?

   On another track to the same question (any of you doc's, etc out there
know the answer to this?):

   A mycotoxin that can contaminate corn (fumonisin) has a toxic effect on
(among other things) the brains of horses... can this also affect
humans if contaminated corn products are consumed in large amounts?
He is eating a lot of this corn starch to date, it has all come from the same
'batch', we have no direct way of knowing if it is/is not contaminated.

      Any information... suggestions... would be appreciated
Thanks from
Mom & Dad (Karen & Dennis)