From:
Glenda Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenda Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:20:25 -0400

I have eaten at Outback many times since being diagnosed with CS.  However, I had an unfortunate experience just last week.  The waiter observed me looking at the GF menu and was proud to announce to me that he was very familiar with that menu and would be sure to take care of my needs.  I was thrilled.  Several times I reiterated the need to be safe... no croutons on the salad, etc.  He was very confident in himself and his understanding of my situation.  When my dinner arrived, it looked a little "juicer" than usual, but I didn't question it at the time.  The first bite tasted really good.  The second bite tasted even better.  It was at that time I realized that my food selections never taste this good and I felt I had received the incorrect meal.  When the waiter returned I shared with him my concern that the meal was not the GF order.  He seemed frustrated with me but I insisted he ask the kitchen.  Moments later, throughout the entire restaurant a voice from the kitchen hollers "HOLY S- - T! Out comes our waiter, walking/jogging directly at me waiving his hands and barking Don't Eat It! Don't Eat It!!!  He quickly snaps it out from under me apologizing profusely for the mistake.  He said they had put the wrong one up with his order (evidently some else in the restaurant got my GF meal).  He said they were preparing another one for me right away.  At that moment the Manager came to the table, completely white in pallor, apologizing over and over again.  He knelt down next to the table and asked "exactly how intolerant are you?  Do you have immediate reactions?"  I felt like he was actually asking "are you going to have a convulsion in the middle of the restaurant?  Are you going to start with projectile vomiting followed by uncontrollable diahhrea right here for all to see???" I felt very bad for him, and told him I really wasn't sure when my symptoms if any would manifest themselves.  I also told him that if I eat out, I am also responsible for what happens to me so I wasn't angry, just a little frustrated that the waiter was so certain I was incorrect.  The strange thing was that we had to wait for 7-8 minutes for them to re-do my order.  My husband's dinner was already mostly eaten by the time they discovered their error.  We thought that perhaps they would offer us a beverage while we sat there waiting, or some type of compensation for the long delay and the inconvenience, but nothing. Nothing at all.  I can't help but feel that if I would have thrown a tizzy in the restaurant instead of being understanding that they would have done something to shut me up.  Isn't it sad that it takes reactions like that to be given some token of compensation for something that could of been so bad for me?  I did end up getting very sick, but I'm hesitant to blame it on Outback.  I feel I come in contact with gluten much more than I really know.

I guess the moral to my story is to ask, ask, and ask again, even if the service people seem knowledgeable...we can't let our guards down!

Glenda
South Portland, Maine