From:
Kelly Rohlfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:07:55 -0800

At our last support group meeting, we had a "bread tasting party".  The
members brought their favorite bread, and we had a toaster oven, butter and
jam.  We had a small turnout, so only had five breads to try.  Here are the
results:

Sylvan Border Farm - Classic Dark Bread Mix (received good marks)

Food-4-Life Brown Rice Bread (also considered a good bread) - this can be
special ordered at stores that carry other Food-4-Life products or can be
shipped to you.  Their number is 1-800-797-5090.

Food-4-Life Rice Pecan Bread (generally liked by everyone- a sweeter
bread).  This bread is usually carried at Trader Joe's and other health
food stores.  It too can be mail ordered.

Ener-G Brown Rice Yeast Free bread (not a favorite).

Molly's homemade rice bread (this was really good!)
Sift:
1 cup brown rice flour
2 cups GF flour blend
3 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer (optional)
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. gelatin

Add 1 1/3 cups non-fat dry milk powder and stir into sifted dry ingredients

Use 1 package dry yeast

Beat:
2 eggs plus 2 egg whites
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. rice vinegar

Place yeast, dry ingredients, and wet ingredients into the baking container
in the order recommended by the bread machine manufacturer.  Use a medium
setting on quick bake.  Open up machine during the first kneading to scrape
down the sides of the pan (rice flours don=B9t mix very well=8Bthey need a
spatula=B9s help!).

Be prepared to experiment, and adjust water and yeast accordingly (too much
of either will make the bread rise too much, and spill over the pan during
baking).  Ener-G flours work best, and the Red Star yeast people are very
supportive of GF baking efforts and challenges; I try to buy that brand.

Let the bread cool for several hours before slicing (it helps for it to be
really cool).  I slice up the loaf and store individual slices in baggies in
the freezer, taking one out every night so it=B9ll be defrosted by morning.
Molly likes her bread plain as well as toasted (mainly toasted).  She and
her sister Allison also love Bette Hagman=B9s crumpets, in More From the
Gluten-Free Gourmet.

Kelly
Stanford, CA