From:
Laura Polanski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Polanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:56:05 -0400

Here are the replies about Virginia Beach.  Thank you to everyone who replied.  My daughter can't wait to try some of these places.

Laura

Smokey Bones, downtown V.B.   They have a GF  menu.   Had a great meal  no problems.We lived in that area for 7 years, but had little luck finding any place safe to eat. I'd stick with sushi...but that isn't exactly cheap. There is a place called Second Storehouse that has GF groceries. A guy named Scott runs it, his wife has celiac disease. It's fine if she knows which products are good, but Scott, the ownder, who's wife has celiac disease was pretty lousy at telling me the good stuff from the junk. I bought a lot of inedible prepared food...but he did have some frozen stuff that was decent.

Here is the info on Second Storehouse:

Second Storehouse
5660 Indian River Rd Suite 122
Virginia Beach, VA 23464

You know...I think Farm Fresh started carrying a lot of GF products by the time we left (big grocery chain there). I think there's one on Virginia Beach Blvd...close to the oceanfront.

There was no Whole Foods anywhere in the area by the time we left...

I recently visited VA Beach (used to live there - love it, miss it, jealous you're going!) and visited a truly great find: Navan Foods https://www.navanfoods.com/ (4312 Holland Rd, Suite 115,Virginia Beach, VA 23454).
Hours:
Mon-Sat: 10am-7pm
Sun: Noon-5pm

it all depends on where in VA beach you are going to be. The landmass
of this city is huge.

if she is going to be staying at the beach strip, then the Heritage
Store on Laskin (and I think pacific) is the best place to pick up
groceries.  don't trust their little cafe.  We've learned the hard way.

about 10 min West on I264 will take her to the Organic Food Depot (http://www.organicfooddepot.com/
) just off Holland Rd.
across Holland from it is the BEST place to buy allergen food in our
area, Navan Foods. (https://www.navanfoods.com/)

There is a Zpizza in VA Beach that we've only been to once and will
never return. the Pizza was too dreadful for words and their service
even more so. However, others like it.

Five guys is off Independence Blvd (it's about 5 min away on the other
side of I264 from the Organic Food depot and Navan Foods).

PF Chang's is on VA Beach Blvd near the Independence intersection.

WE also have Cheeseburgers in Paradise and Carrabas but we have never
eaten at them.

If she comes into Norfolk I can highly recommend 123 Fish on Granby
St.   Granby St is a "happening" place at night, especially if you are
college age. (it's about 30 min from the beachfront in VA Beach).   I
also always enjoy the Tapas at the Empire Little Bistro Bar on Granby.

*******
*******