From:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 11:33:06 -0400

Hello List Mates,

After diagnosis, my daughter and I reached out to our entire family encouraging them to consider being tested - symptomatic or not. Our efforts mostly met with resistance. Today, I'll be sending them all a copy of this article from Healthday.com. I thought some of you might want to do the same.

In a nutshell: For the study, researchers screened 3,031 healthy people who were related to someone with celiac disease, but had no symptoms themselves, and selected 40 people who tested positive for antibodies specific to celiac disease. By random selection, members of that group were either put on a gluten-free diet or told to continue with their normal diet, containing gluten.
People on a gluten-free diet reported improved gastrointestinal health as well as an overall improvement in their health-related quality of life, compared with the others, according to the study.
After the study, 85 percent of the participants were willing to maintain a gluten-free diet, and 58 percent viewed their screening for celiac disease in a positive light, the researchers said.
I've posted the entire article on my site: www.notevenacrumb.com
Or, you can read it here: http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=652637
Deb Wheaton
www.notevenacrumb.com