From:
Alan Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:58:10 -0500

I didn't get any responses to my query about Martinique, but below is
my summary from just returning.

We found two Celiac friendly restaurants, but they are off the beaten
track.
One was excellent and very GF knowledgable, both have someone that
speaks english.

Le Bredas in the Saint Joseph area (central island).
This place was great and they went out of their way to make us feel
welcome and discussed each dish & its GF status or how they could
make it GF. These folks may be openning a restaurant in Quebec soon.

Ti Sable on the beach (at the west end of the southern part of the island).
They had a fixed menu that night (Valentines day) & after reviewing the
celica card (in french) they indicated what was GF. This place was nice,
but not great. On another night, with an open menu, it may not be as easy.

Martinique in general:

The island is French speaking, in general English is not a viable
language there,
even in the hotels and restaurants its hard to find anyone who speaks
English.
The hotels are geared towards complete service, once you are there they
provide
all meals but the staff doesn't speak English so having a Celiac card in
French
to explain Celiac is a must. Also, since our hotel (may be common)
didn't have
a resident Chef, only a cook since the food appeared to be prepare else
where,
the best we were able to achieve at the hotel was broiled or boiled fish
& rice for
dinner, sufficient but not appetizing.

Alan in Maryland