Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:09:17 EST

Hello Everyone!

Thank you to those of you who responded.  I am not a medical expert and I am
not in the medical field.  This is simply a summary of the responses I
received plus some information which I have come across doing my own research.

IMPOTENCY

I received one question regarding CD's effect, if any, on impotency.  I found
this quote as taken from an abstract of an article:

"Hyperprolactinaemia is seen in 25% of coeliac patients, which causes
impotence and loss of libido."

Quote taken from Abstract at the following cite:

Dig Dis, 12(3):186-190 1994 May-Jun
The title of the article is "Infertility, obstetric and gynaecological
problems in coeliac sprue".

Based upon the responses which I received, there is a definite link between
celiac disease and infertility in both men and women.  The following
references were forwarded to me:

1.      Molteni N, Bardella MT, Bianchi PA. Obstetric and gynecological problems
        in women with untreated celiac sprue. J Clin Gastroenterol 1990; 12:
        37-9.
2.      Sher KS, Mayberry JF. Female fertility, obstetric and gynaecological
        history in coeliac disease. A case control study. Digestion 1994; 55:
        243-6.
3.      Sher KS, Jayanthi V, Probert CS, Stewart CR, Mayberry JF. Infertility,
        obstetric and gynaecological problems in coeliac sprue. Dig Dis 1994;
        12:186-90.
4.      McCann JP, Nicholls DP, Verzin JA. Adult coeliac disease presenting with
        infertility. Ulster Med J 1988; 57: 88-9.
5.      Ferguson R, Holmes GKT, Cooke WT.  Coeliac disease, fertility and
        pregnancy. Scand J Gastroenterol 1982; 17: 65-8.

The good news is that the overwhelming opinion was that adherence to a strict
gluten free diet should and would restore fertility if the infertility was a
result of CD.

Other responses noted personal experiences w/ infertility.  Some women did not
experience infertility even though diagnosed w/ CD.   As we all know, symptoms
vary from one celiac to another.  Others experienced multiple miscarriages.
Several noted insufficent uterine linings which created difficulty in
maintaining the preganancy.

One happy mother reported that after using Chlomid to induce ovulation, she
proudly delivered a healthy baby who is now 18 months old and eating gluten
without any problems!

One women relayed that her body produced antibodies that fought against her
husband's sperm preventing conception.  Her solution was to use condoms for 6
months so your body would quit producing antiboides and then try to conceive.
Another woman reported that her doctors advised her that she reacted to male
white blood cells during a pregnancy.  There is a very intriguing relation
here between antibodies and fertility!   This is something that I would love
to see  researched more!

This confirms my hunch that infertility and CD were related based upon the
personal experiences that were relayed to me.  This is a subject which I am
very interested in and will continue to research.  I have more references for
those who are also very interested which I will gladly forward if you email me
privately.

For all those suffering from infertility, my heart goes out to you.  I hope
this is of some help to you.

Regards,

Heather
Oklahoma City, OK