Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:02:56 -0500

Hi All~~

I heard on the national news tonight (Brian Williams) that suppliers of high
fructose corn syrup (HFCS) want the FDA to change the name of the product to
"corn sugar" (I think that was the name they requested). I avoid HFCS as
much as I can - it's unhealthy for everyone, but I think it causes problems
especially for the gluten intolerant/celiacs, though I've lost the
explanation after hearing this several years ago.

My question is, even if they change the name of the product, won't the
product still be the same? These suppliers complain that HFCS is getting a
bad rap and think that changing the name will be more acceptable. Being the
cynic I am regarding our food lately, changing the name and not the product
just sounds like a new type of con on the consumer.

If anyone can refresh my memory about the hazards of HFCS to celiacs or the
population at large, I would be grateful. Apparently, my brain has reached
it's maximum amount of information and I've begun to drop some of those bits
of wisdom ingested as a youngster. Guess I'll have to start over

Thanks so much ~~ Ayn in Kansas