From:
Carol Guchek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Guchek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:47:55 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my message about Peptizyde. Before I
summarize, I wanted to give a quick explanation for why I was asking
about Peptizyde. I have been gluten free, casein free for almost a year
now. I started out first GF but then became CF after testing. I have a
degree in nutrition, although I am not practicing. My daughter is a
nutrition consultant and we had discussed the connection between gluten
sensitivity and autoimmune disease which prompted me to talk to my
doctor about testing since I have autoimmune thyroiditis as well as a
few other autoimmune conditions. Although he is very supportive, he
couldn’t justify doing an intestinal biopsy because my blood tests were
normal, I didn’t have symptoms and I had already been eating gluten
free. So I did the Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel from
EnteroLab. It showed that my intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was
elevated; I had an autoimmune reaction to the human enzyme tissue
transglutaminase, secondary to gluten sensitivity; there was an
increased amount of dietary fat in the stool due to gluten-induced small
intestinal malabsorption/damage associated with gluten sensitivity; it
showed elevated levels of anti-casein IgA antibody. The test did reveal
one copy of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity but not the
gene for celiac disease. I was not surprised about the gluten
sensitivity but I was surprised about the anti-casein antibody. With all
these results I felt that GFCS was what I should be doing. Down the road
I don’t want to add Celiac Disease to my repertoire of autoimmune
diseases. Since being GFCF I have had a whole new sense of well being, I
have lost weight, my thyroid medication is gradually decreasing, and
with the elimination of casein, my rosacea has almost totally cleared
up. There are those occasions, as I mentioned in my previous e-mail,
where I would like to have GF pizza with real cheese. I can’t eat the
casein free cheese. I just don’t like it. I was hoping taking these
enzymes would help me out on those occasions where I just have to break
down and have pizza.

Here is a summary of responses about Peptizyde:

I don’t like the marketing where it says "alternative or supplement to"
a gluten free diet.  Makes it sound like it is optional or something.  I
am like you though. I really need to be CF but I can cheat a little and
it won't affect me like a glutening would.  And it isn't like the
ability to break down the protein is the problem- it seems to be trying
to compare it to lactose intolerance where the body lacks the enzyme for
breaking down lactase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do not be fooled. Gluten cannot be broken down, nor casein. They are
intolerances. If you are lactose intolerant, that is another story. You
can have a certain amount before you get sick if you are not very
lactose intolerant. Casein is a big problem. You just have to avoid it
like gluten.

Some people have used it for trace amounts and it's worked for them. I
eat some dairy sometimes and take it with bentonite clay, which works
enough that I don't get migraines from it.
Once in awhile I really like some crème brulee ... plus it's very
difficult to avoid gluten AND casein when eating out!