Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:24:44 -0600

Hi All~~

I met a young man last week who eats strictly gluten free. According to
what he told me, he was tested for celiac before he went GF, w/out a
definitive diagnosis. That was almost 20 years ago. He continues to have
pancreatic/liver issues of periodic pain and slightly elevated liver
enzymes, but no diagnosis as to what may be causing the liver issue. This
was his question to me:

"Without a celiac diagnosis and having not eaten gluten for 20 years, how
am I to know for sure that gluten is causing my pancreatic/liver problems?
What would happen if I introduced small amounts of gluten into my diet to
see if gluten sensitivity is a problem or if I'm just experiencing liver
problems?" He also told me that he accidentally overdosed on acetaminophen
almost 20 years ago when his doc failed to tell him that there was
acetaminophen in some pain medication he was given and he took more.

I wasn't comfortable giving him advice, but told him I would try to get
suggestions from the list. I've never really understood if there's true
danger in a gluten challenge or if one will experience the effects/symptoms
of ingesting gluten. Is there a serious danger, like liver failure or some
other serious backlash?

Anyway, I was hoping that some of you will be willing and able to give me
some information that I can pass on to this young man. Please try not to
tell me what you would do, but think about the bigger picture of what might
be the danger or what might be the outcome of his mini-challenge.

Thanks, so much~~I'll summarize.

Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas