From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:43:49 -0400

I doctored my old honeycake recipe and made it gluten-free and really easy. It was a big hit last night at a large group gathering.  Even the non-celiacs loved it. No mixer needed!   (I'm spelling out the fractions, because cyberspace settings mess them up.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly grease either 3 loaf pans...the disposable, aluminum kind, or two large loan pans or an ungreased tube pan.  Can even make cupcakes.
Make one strong cup of coffee (black), and let it cool.  (Instant coffee will do.)

Take out two large bowls and a good, strong spoon.

In one bowl whisk together all the wet stuff.
4 large eggs (lightly beaten)
One 1 lb jar of honey
Three eighths cup oil.
The one cup of cooled, strong coffee
Three teaspoons of lemon juice (I used half a lemon)

In the other bowl mix together all the dry stuff.
3 and a half cups (my old cookbook says 3 and a third)) gluten-free flour. Add one teaspoon of xanthan gum, if the mix doesn't have xanthan or guar gum in it already.
	(I used 2 cups white rice flour, one half cup tapioca flour, one half cup corn starch, one half cup potato starch and 1 tsp xanthan gum.)  Any mix will do.
One and a third cups sugar
1 and a third teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
A few shakes of cinnamon.

Now, carefully spoon in the dry stuff into the wet stuff and stir with a strong spoon until thoroughly mixed and there are no major lumps. Add to this 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 cup raisins, if you'd like.  My old cookbook recipe calls for two teaspoons of brandy, which I usually omit, but I have used khalua, and it comes out delicious.

Pour into the pans and bake until done. The cookbooks says one hour, but my oven took longer. Just don't let them burn. If you make a cupcake variety, I'd think it would take less than an hour. Also, sometimes the cakes puff up and spill over, so I put them on a cookie sheet in the oven. I use the toothpick test to see if it's done. Stick in a toothpick when the tops are lightly browned, it should come out dry if cake is done.

If you use a tube pan, invert immediately to cool and gently pry out cake with a spatual. But I use the disposable loaf pans, so it's easier.

The sugar and the honey are not a typo. This is a very sweet cake, so watch your blood sugar if you've got a problem.