Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:40:22 -0500

Thanks to all who responded.  I was overwhelmed at the number of
research to verify the allergen status of the foods mentioned in here.
Thanks again.

Sara

10.   Why not use the veggies and dip them in an acceptable salad
dressing like a vinegrette.  We often use shrimp and cocktail sauce.
You can also use a bean dip with the veggies and use it with tortilla
chips as well.  There is always guacamoule.

11.   shrimp, cheese and rice crackers for appetizers last night.

12.   There are many things that you may make GF, just adapt the recipes
and you will be fine.  I use horseradish, catsup, worcestershire sauce,
and lemon mixed together for the shrimp dip and it is delicious. Just
try to be inventive and figure out the flour substitutes and you will be
fine.  Betty Hagman's "Featherlight White Rice Flour" is a cup for cup
substitute for cakes with perhaps a tsp. of Xanthan Gum per cup.  Think
very basic substitutions and it will work for you.  Example:  Italian
Cream Cake is cup for cup with the flour.  When I served appetizers last
evening, I used regular crackers for guests, but had GF for myself.  It
worked.  I use my GF flour to make my gravy.  I just don't do dressing
for me....

13.   For appetizers, look for Rice crackers (make sure they are wheat
free)..... Look for them in Asian-type stores/sections. Another thing
that is very good is corn tortilla chips with homemade salsa. Vegetables
with hummus are always a hit too. Organic food stores are WONDERFUL for
GF goodies.

14.   Veggies most certainly can be an option. Make your dip out of
mayonnaise and ketchup or use a thick gf salad dressing (not a
vinegairette), and you'll be fine. Don't put crackers out with it, so
you'll avoid contamination. You can also make small meatballs that have
been mixed with grape jelly and gf Worcestshire sauce or ketchup (I
forget the recipe) and serve them with toothpicks. (Look up sweet and
sour meatballs in cookbooks and just don't add any bread product at
all.)

15.   Stuffings: corn bread makes a great stuffing, but you'd have to
bake the gf cornbread first and use water or rice milk in place of milk
and margarine in place of butter.

16.   I was told some people that are allergic to dairy can still have
goat or sheep cheese.  I eat manchego cheese about once a week and I
don't seem to have a problem.  For appetizers you can still do pepperoni
and crackers, vegetable and fruit platters..

17.   What about a shrimp ring - some of the sauces are GF - Cross &
Blackwell and Heinz.  Also, what about hummus and rice crackers or cut
vegetables.   I have a great hummus recipe:

White Bean Hummus with Garlic

1 can white kidney beans
1 T garlic
3 T lemon juice
2 T tahini
¼  cup olive oil
¼ cup water
Pinch cayenne
½  t salt
Blend .

This is also good:

Lentil Pate

1 ½  cups dry lentils
4 cups water
2 T oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 cup raw or toasted pumpkin/sunflower seeds/chopped walnuts or pecans 1
T chickpea miso (opt)

18.   Can you eat deviled eggs? They are always a big hit. I am also
enclosing a recipe for chicken wings. Jan from ND
GRANDMAS  CHICKEN  WINGS

5 LBS. CHICKEN DRUMMETTES
Garlic salt to taste
1/3  cup catsup
1 cup cornstarch
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. GF soy sauce
2 Tbsp. Oil for frying
¾ cup cider vinegar
½  cup chicken broth

Preheat oven to 300.
Wash drummettes and sprinkle with garlic salt.  Roll them in cornstarch,
then the beaten eggs.  Fry in small batches in hot oil until browned.
Remove to baking dish large enough to hold them all. In medium saucepan,
mix together broth, catsup, brown sugar, soy sauce and vinegar.  Heat to
dissolve.  Pour over the chicken wings.  Bake, lightly covered with
foil, for 1 ½ hours, basting or turning often.  Serve hot or cold.
Serves 10-12.

COCKTAIL MEATBALLS

1 ½ to 2 lb ground beef Roll into tiny meatballs &
10 or more gf crackers, crushed brown on broiler rack at
425 and bake.

3 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp celery seed 1 c catsup Heinz
¼ c brown sugar ¼ c cider vinegar    1 ½ c water
¼ c Worcestershire sauce

Simmer with meatballs at least 30 min, thicken sauce with ½ c water &
cornstarch. May be cooked a long time with crockpot.

19.   shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce since some aren't GF and it is
so easy to make is a favorite at our house