From:
Rhonda Schoenleber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rhonda Schoenleber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:37:22 -0500

Summary of San Francisco:

1. I hate to say this, but my son and Chinese daughter-in-law won't let me
eat in the real Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, although several years
ago, we did go to one. Don't know the name. Looked real grungy from outside,
but my DIL recommended it.

I have to warn you that Chow Mein means with noodles, and out west, it will
be wheat noodles, with soy sauce, no less. East of the Mississippi...at
least in NY, NJ, and MD, it's a mix of vegetables and is gluten-free. But
not out west. The owner of a Chinese restaurant in NJ, since closed, told me
to ask for chow mein as an onion mix, to avoid it being noodles. The irony
is that when we went out to eat (my son, his wife, my husband and I and a
friend, I was the only one who ordered chow mein. My DIL's face and
confusion should have warned me. As it turned out everything everyone else
ordered was in white sauce and was gluten-free, so I ate from their
selections and my son ate the chow mein. The waiter offered to take it back,
but my son kept it.
[...]

2. Here are some relevant responses that I received to my more general
SF request -- we never got to eat in Chinatown, so no 1st hand knowledge:

 > > I've recently been to SF for work 3 times in the past 4 months and my
GF
 > > favorites were as follows:
 > > Zadin - amazing vietnamese food with a menu already labeled 95% GF plus
 > > the rest can be modified to be gluten free. worth the visit for the
 > > fried calamari and pho ga.
 > > http://zadinsf.com/menu.asp
 > >
 > > BurmaSuperstar - crazy wait but my GFf friend tells them gluten free,
no
 > > soy sauce, clean wok and eats happily and safely. We didn't get to eat
 > > there but did eat at their sister restaurant B-Star (down the street)
 > > and had fewer choices but still yummy food.
 > > www.burmasuperstar.com
Here are some relevant responses that I received to my more general
SF request -- we never got to eat in Chinatown, so no 1st hand knowledge:

 > > I've recently been to SF for work 3 times in the past 4 months and my
GF
 > > favorites were as follows:
 > > Zadin - amazing vietnamese food with a menu already labeled 95% GF plus
 > > the rest can be modified to be gluten free. worth the visit for the
 > > fried calamari and pho ga.
 > > http://zadinsf.com/menu.asp
 > >
 > > BurmaSuperstar - crazy wait but my GFf friend tells them gluten free,
no
 > > soy sauce, clean wok and eats happily and safely. We didn't get to eat
 > > there but did eat at their sister restaurant B-Star (down the street)
 > > and had fewer choices but still yummy food.
 > > www.burmasuperstar.com

3. You may also want to try Slanted Door @ the Ferry Bldg.  I have eaten
there several times before diagnosis and I have heard they are GF friendly.
The food is wonderful there!

Hope this helps,

Rhonda