From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:23:25 -0500

I have corresponded with a manager in one of the mills that makes
Inulin.  He tells me that while inulin is in lots of foods, it is only
in high enough in concentration for commercial purification in chicory
root and jerusalem artichoke.  There is insufficient inulin in wheat to
make it a source for extraction.  He is aware of other mills that make
inulin and all of them use chicory or jerusalem artichoke. He is
unaware of anyone using wheat as a source, and explains it is not
economically feasible to use it as a source.

Therefore commercial inulin is not derived from cereal and can be
considered gluten free.

Thanks to staff at Orafti mills for the definitive answer, and to
Sharon Z for digging out the initial contact there.

Stephen Holland, M.D.