From:
Rebecca Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 13:49:30 -0500

Awhile back I posted a question about possible gf subsitutes for vanilla
wafers to use in banana pudding -- the kind that uses the Nabisco Nalli
vanilla wafers.  Here are the suggestions I received.  I haven't had a
chance to try any of them yet.

Ener-G ginger cookies

Health Valley rice bran crackers

"The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks fast and Healthy" by Bette Hagman has a
recipe to make your own vanilla wafers on page 152.

Carol Fenster's cookbook,Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus has a vanilla wafer
recipe in it

Stale gf cake or cookie crumbs

Sugar cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Put into a large mixing bowl:
3/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs--slightly beaten
Mix with electric beater until creamy

In seperate bowl put:
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 ounce package cherrie or strawberry gelatin
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1  1/3 cup brown rice flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon vanilla powder--or liquid vanilla
mix well with wire whisk
using electric mixer - combine with creamed ingredients adding about 1/2
cup at a time until well mixed. Grease large cookie sheet. Use teaspoon to
drop dough about 2 inches apart.  Bake about 7 minutes at 350 degrees
Scoop cookies up with egg turner and place on wire rack lined with wax
paper to cool

Sugar cookies made with Gluten Free Pantry's Original Cake and Cookie
Mix

Make  gf knock-offs of Nabisco Nilla Wafers.  Was told a gf version would
be "similar" but not as brown:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. shortening
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/8 t. salt
1 1/2 c.  GF flour mix (original recipe called for cake flour)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 T. water

Cream sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla & salt. Add the flour & baking
powder.  Add 1T water & continue mixing until dough forms a ball. Roll
dough into 3/4" balls & flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie
sheet. Bake 15-18 min. at 325 deg. or until cookies are light brown. Make
50-56 cookies.