From:
Kimberly M Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberly M Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:51:55 -0400

I was looking for a non-dairy milk powder that does not contain soy and
one that is suitable for someone like me who has a high sensitivity to
gluten. Many recommended Vance's DariFree, and some submitted the
contact information for Better Than Milk, which seems to come in both
rice and soy milk powders.  Here are some of the responses I received:

Better Than Milk is a PANOS brand. Here is the link for their website
(there's a contact form you can use): http://www.panosbrands.com/home.html

I use Dari-free.  It is potato based. I purchase at our local Hy-Vee
stores.  It also comes in chocolate.  I believe Better than Milk is a
soy product.

Van's and Vita-Mite are both good, can order online.

Vance's Dari Free is a potato based product that is gluten, casein, soy
free. You can check out the information with this link
http://www.vancesfoods.com/darifree.htm.
As for reactions, if you are very sensitive to gluten, you may be sensitive
to other things as well. Use your best judgment after reading the
ingredients - many people use this on the GFCF Autism diet with success.

I have used "Better Than Milk"
powder mix for sometime. Amazon.com sells it for a fair price. I
usually mix it in the blender with almost hot water. Can't seem to get
it to mix with cold water. After it is cold..........no problem. Great
for baking and on gluten-free cereal. Other than Amazon.com I can't
help you on where to locate the product.

I use coconut milk for all my baking.  Turns out perfect everytime.  I
use the full fat Thai brand, just stir it up when you open the can
& use cup for cup.

You might want to investigate Dari-Free powder. It's major allergen free
and what I use for my dairy free baking. You can find it in
major stores, health food stores or online. You may want to up the
proportion of a high protein flour for texture, or add a little more oil to
get the right fat proportion. I have interchanged it one to one and got very
good results. Good luck!

A very good dairy free milk powder that I like is: Vances DariFree which
comes in a can. It is GF, Casein Free, Fat free, Soy free, Rice free, no
MSG, protein free and Cholesterol Free.