From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:43:45 -0400

People often post here asking about restaurants in a place they are
planning to visit. Both UrbanSpoon and Yelp have options to search
for gluten-free, though Yelp's gluten-free checkbox only appears for
some locations. Even when it doesn't appear, a search on gluten free
will usually turn up results. And the number of people contributing
to these sites is far greater than the 3000 subscribers here.

Let's take some examples. Here is Myrtle Beach:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/tn/229/1/26408/Myrtle-Beach/Gluten-Free-Friendly/Myrtle-Beach-restaurants

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=gluten+free&find_loc=Myrtle+Beach

There are lots of places listed that were not in the posted summary.

These sites also let you pin down a specific location in a large
city. For example, let's say you are looking for something near Shedd
Aquarium in Chicago.

Let's start with UrbanSpoon. After finding your city (small towns may
not be present) click the "Gluten-Free Friendly" along the left. In
Chicago there are 546. I don't think it knows about Shedd. So I kept
enlarging the map until I could find the Museum Campus. The closest
is Yolk, a basic American place that has a high rating. Looking at
their site I didn't find a GF menu. But a simple e-mail gets back:
"Although we do not have specific gluten free dishes such as french
toast or pancakes, much of our menu is naturally free of gluten. All
skillets, omelets, scramblers and basic egg dishes are gluten free if
you opt out of the toast option as a side. Keep in mind we can
customize almost anything to your liking as well."

A bit north at the loop is Pizano's Pizza & Pasta. A look at their
site only finds a gluten-free whole wheat pasta. Strange. I'd pass.

Moving to Yelp. They show a long list of neighborhoods. Zooming in
the map finds that the Museum Campus is in the Near Southside
neighborhood. No hits for GF. The next neighborhood is South Loop.
Checking that returns three in The Loop:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=gluten+free&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL&ns=1&ls=20c1f1fb21d6818f#cflt=gluten_free&l=p:IL:Chicago::South_Loop

They don't look to be as family friendly as http://eatyolk.com/

Don.

*******