From:
John Poindexter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 23:38:04 -0500

In summary regarding my question regarding GF worcestershire sauce.
Thanks to all who responed.  The responses were:

  1.  The Shopping Guide of the Tri County Celias Sprew Support Gouup
(mentioned for sale earlier in there lists) includes Lea & Perrins WS
as GF.  The label soesn't specify the source of the questionable
ingredients, but I believe that the Group checked all of this out.

  2.  Someone told me last year that we could use French's WS.  I
always loved Robbie's too.  We haven't had any problem with French's
and it is cheaper than Robbie's

  3.  Hi Cathy,  I don't know of any commercial WS that are GF, but
this home made one is excellent.  It makes quite alot, so you don't
have to do it very often.

HOMEMADE WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

3 C cider vinegar (not malt)
1/2 C plum jam
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1/4 t chilli powder
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/3 C molasses
1 small chopped onion
1 t ground alspice
1/4 t dry mustard

Combine all ingerdiants in large saucepan.  Stir over heat until
mixture boils.  Simmer uncovered for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
Strain mixture into hot sterilized jars.  Seal when cold.  Makes 2
cups.

  4.  As a place to start looking, I suggest Eden brand Tamari Sauce
-- IPORTED (NOT domestic).  I have not checked on the GF status of
this product for over a year, but at the time I did I was told the
alcohol in the imported product was all naturally occurring alcohol
form fermentation of the soybeans, not form the addition of grain
alcohol.  Tamari is not the same as WS, but close enough for me.  I
have found this product a health food stores.

  5.  According to the CSA/USA Commercial Products Listings, all
French's Tones, and Lea and Perrins Original and White Wine WS are GF.

  6.  I love to use Amino Acids instead of Soy Sauce or WS.  As much
as I love WS I'm sure it's bad for me...I put them in the pump sprayer
I spoke of earlier. (not in this note) I even spray it on popcorn!
And a lot on rice.  Please let me know if you find any GF WS!  I
really had to get used to Amino Acids but find tham quite tasty now!.

These were the six responsed I received.  I found this interesting and
hope it will be helpful to others.