Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:35:14 -0500

Dear listmates -

Since I need a crown, I had to change to a dentist who didn't
mind the fact I need gluten-free materials.

Since they probably don't know what gluten is, I got a list of
what they use in each step, and who it is made by.

Products and precautions in crown work include:

-Dentist and hygienist and assistants using powder-free gloves

-Glues or cements, including those used for the temporary crown

-Composite materials or ceramics, including those for the temporary
 and permanent crowns

-Injectable local anesthetic

-Topical anesthetic

-Any hemostatic compound

-Etching and bonding agents

-Cleaning/polishing compounds if you are getting a cleaning

-Precautions to avoid exposure to mercury/mercury vapor in
  removing amalgam fillings

    -Includes oxygen mask, suction, dental dam, and extreme
    care, according to list members, for Celiac and/or otherwise
    autoimmune patients

-Avoid the dentist's mouthwash - Bring your own GF mouthwash
if you want, or use plain water - and make sure that what your
mouth is sprayed with is plain water

So, I have investigated the materials used by one of the two
dentists I am considering for the crown work.

ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURERS, meaning the people I spoke with at each
manufacturer, the following are gluten- free.  This is not a complete
list - I still have more to check on - but at least it is a start:

Cleaning/polishing:

NuPro by Dentsply.  One list member said all flavors are GF.  If
   they have an unflavored, of course, that is always the safest.

Self-etching primer/bonding agent Clearfil SE Bond by Kuraray America As
far as Kuraray Technical manager knows, it is all synthetic, and no
grain products are used

Etching material
ETCH from 3M

Composites Visiofil from ESBE ESBE  (3M ESBE - It was a merger of 3M
with ESBE) products are all GF, according to 3M ESBE Z-100 from 3M (or
it might be from 3M ESBE) Holostore from Den/Mat Den/Mat says all of
their dental products are GF

Glues/Cements
Zoebt from Dentsply
IRM from Dentsply
Note - I have also emailed Henry Schein Corporation to ask if

  their product, polycarboxylate, is GF - I don't have  reply yet.
  It is impossible to reach their Tech Support by phone (or any
  other department).  You'll be on hold forever and give up.
  Will post reply.

I have no information on impression materials, yet, or on the
topical or injectable anesthetics.  Will post information as I
find out more.

Two dentists' offices recommended the Clifford test, to see
which materials I may be sensitive to - An additional consideration,
besides the gluten-free status.  We can be reactive from
sensitivities and allergies, you know.

I'll have to see what it costs.  The crown will be very costly.
The x-rays were not cheap.

Hope this helps!

Vicki Jones
Homewood, IL