From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:58:51 -0400

This about sums up the replies from the listserv.
I have one question about the homemade recipe, which I found on several sites....How long is the homemade version good for? It's basically a food product without preservatives......

Thanks, everyone. Lin

These are from listmates:
1. I have bought Moon Dough and Moon Sand.  They are both very messy and neither lasts very long.  We use the Colorations brand gf play dough.  It is a little greasy feeling compared to regular playdough but otherwise is comparable.  But, obviously more expensive.

2. Messy, and not worth buying....Some feel very strongly about this.

3. Messy, but kids love it....Some feel very strongly about this.

4. http://store.soy-yer.com/      Check out Soy-Yer Dough  - it was featured on the show Shark Tank as a startup.  I have not personally used it, but have heard good reports.

5.  You Tube video on Moon Dough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_gK1Qt9XbQ.   And here's a link to Amazon.com for reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Dough-20037142-Diner/dp/B003ASOUBY. One of the reviewers states you have to "prepare" it as the instructions state, (rolling dough around in your hands until it is solid). The woman you spoke to online may not have followed the instructions and that's why she found it to be like sand. There definitely mixed reviews on it.

6.  Gluten Free Play Dough
 Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes

Ingredients:
 • 1/2 cup rice flour
• 1/2 cup corn starch
• 1/2 cup salt
• 2 tsp cream of tarter
• 1 cup water
• 1 tsp cooking oil
• Food coloring, if desired

Preparation:  Note recommendation in #7 that I saw in a You Tube video
• Mix ingredients.
• Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture forms a ball.
• Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.

NOTE:  Some corn starch contains (or “may” contain) wheat, milk and eggs.  In place of corn starch, try Arrowroot starch. Potato Starch would also work.

7. I just watched a YouTube video from Niko's Baby Food, where the guy showed how to make the playdough.  He kneads it while it's still warm, after he takes it out of the pot. Then he divides the dough into four balls, makes a well in each of four balls and drops a couple of drops of food coloring, and kneads it in...on some kind of baking paper or wax paper, or the dye will get on everything.  Sorry, I lost the URL for it on YouTube and can't seem to get it to come up again.

.