From:
The Sheffers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:32:47 +0000

Dear listmates,
I am forwarding this correspondence "as is" for your own judgement.
All your questions regarding these Mazot and their availability should
please be send to Mr. Morris (do not call on Shabat-Saturday) at:

David and Julie Morris,
15 Rehov Sherf,
Pisgat Ze'ev Mizrach,
Jerusalem 97842,
ISRAEL.

Tel: 972 2 6563536
      972 2 5833151
Fax: 972 2 5833152
email:   [log in to unmask]

Best regards and Kosher Passover,

Eyal

----Forward message follows ----------------------

Many thanks for your email, and your interest in oat matzot.

Here's the letter I sent you, which Rabbi Kestenbaum has now approved
for you to publish:-

TO:     AYAL SHEFER
AT:     THE ISRAEL COELIACS ASSOCIATION
FAX:    03 7518644
DATE:   11/3/99
RE:     OAT MATZOT

Dear Ayal,

It was a pleasure to speak with you today regarding the oat matzot.

I did discuss your two main concerns with Rabbi E. Kestenbaum, of
Golders Green in London, these being:-

1. Cross contamination - you explained that although it is possible
that oats contain a kind of gluten which coeliac's can tolerate,
there is nevertheless a problem of cross contamination with other
grains, in both the growing (crop rotation) and in the milling
process, handling etc...

2. Very small amounts of gluten are also harmful - you mentioned the
'maximum dose level' of the American Coeliacs Society of 10 mg per
day which is all too easy to exceed, due to the widespread use of
gluten containing products (you mentioned the stamp glue).

Rabbi Kestenbaum, who watches over the oats from the harvest, through
milling and baking until they are sealed in their boxes, responded as
follows:-

1. The farm they use in Scotland only grows oats, and has been in this
business for many years. The amount of cross contamination in the
fields and in the harvesting, if it exists at all, is therefore
extremely small. The millers are also oat millers - and I understand
do not process other grains - again cross contamination is not a
significant possibility.

The matzot are baked at Cohen Halpern in Jerusalem, where the machines
are carefully cleaned between their regular flour production and
producing the oat matzot.  This is both for halachic and health
purposes, and is strictly supervised by Rabbi Kestenbaum and other
experienced supervisors.

Furthermore the factory is not used for flour matzot production for
several hours prior to the oat matozt production, which enables any
wheat dust in the air to settle, which is then cleaned away in the
cleaning of the machines, immediately prior to the baking.So, whereas
there is a significant risk of cross contamination in the factory,
this problem is addressed with considerable care.

2. We have been previously under the impression that oat matzot do
indeed contain very small quantities of 'benign' gluten - and have
made a point of instructing coeliacs to ask both their doctors and
rabbis for advice regarding the suitability of these matzot. All the
doctors knowledgeable in this field, with whom we have consulted, in
the UK, the USA and here in Israel have approved the eating of  one
'kzait' of oat matzot for Passover Seder - but we still have
recommended that each individual ask their own doctor and rabbi.

As I mentioned on the phone, the University of North London has now
analysed the oat matzot, and found that gluten is 'absent'. I attach
their report for your attention.

These matzot are under the halachic supervision of the Bdatz of
Manchester and the Rabbinate of Jerusalem and are 'smurah mish'at
kzirah'.

They are available at the following health food shops:-

Mekor Hateva, 8 Strauss St. Jerusalem tl: 02-5384342
Haddasa, 2 Beit Yaakov, Mahane Yehuda, Jerusalem tl: 02-6245655
Mazon Min Hateva, 147 Rabi Akiva St. Bene Brak  tl: 03-5793595

This whole operation is undertaken by Rabbi Kestenbaum and his
organisation on a non-profit basis - and solely with the intention
that people who are unable to eat wheat matzot for health reasons, can
nevertheless fulfil the mitzva of 'achilat matza' on Pessach.

If there is any further information I can supply you with, please feel
free to call me.

Best Regards,

David L.Morris.

P.S. Please note that aside from the stringencies required by halacha
and regular health concerns, Rabbi Kestenbaum watches over the
production of these oat matzot, in the knowledge that his daughter,
who is an extremely sensitive coeliac, will be eating them on Seder
night....

Best Regards,

David.

   15 Rehov Sherf,
   Pisgat Ze'ev Mizrach,
   Jerusalem,
   97842,
   ISRAEL.

 Contact:       David Morris.

 Tel:           972 2 5833151 and 6563536
 Fax:           972 2 5833152
 Email:         [log in to unmask]