From:
Lorraine Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:25:44 -0400

You wrote:
I suspect my son and I are Celiac, I am very mild.  He is not weaned
completly.  He is eating table foods and is going on three.  No lectures
about weaning him, please.  Can I be passing glutin on to him, should I be gf
also?  If so, why wouldn't breast fed infants have real Celiac problems
before actual exposure to glutin?

S.
===========
Dear S.

I have no idea if gluten crosses in the breastmilk (probably does) however
this would not be a problem if he is not a Celiac.  If you are a Celiac, YES,
you should be gf for your own health.  Nursing is a strain on your own body
and YOU need all the nutrition you can get so you can give him what he needs
and have enough left for you.  He would not have "Celiac problems" if he is
not a Celiac whether he is exposed to Gluten or not.

I am no expert, but I am a Celiac and a mother of 9 children, 8 of whom are
all Celiacs (the 9th is only 6 weeks old and too young to tell).  Each member
of our family suffers from Celiac in different ways and differing severity.
I have breastfed them all, but the last few children I have suffered greatly
with yeast...candida...on my (hide your eyes guys)..... nipples.  I think it
is directly related to the CD (since I blame all my problems on CD <grin>  )
and I have been taking acidopholous for this condition.  It helps as long as
I continue to take it.  Has anyone ever had this problem as a Celiac and a
nursing mother???

Lorraine