From:
Meyda Yegenoglu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:33:53 -0800

Dear all,

Especially after reading Laura Greene's message about the difficulties
the  doctor in diagnosing her, I kept wondering why not get the EMA
(endomysial anticor--I hope this is how it is spelled). This was the
blood test that was done to me and according to my gastro. doctor it
gives conclusive results. It was through this test that I was diagnosed
positive and my intestinal biopsy turned out quite normal. I am
wondering why no one on the list so far has  mentioned this test. Those
who talked about tests refer only to IGA and IGG. These, according to my
doctor, are not that good for diagnosing celiac. I am curious whether
EMA is not used the in the U.S. or not. I am from Turkey and could it be
possible that we're getting these tests from Europe (I am just
speculating on this last point).  I should add that my doctor seemed so
assured of the relaibility of this test and wanted to repeat the same
test  after 6 months of dieting and was expecting the result negaftive
after the diet. I did get the test 6 months later and yes, it turned out
negative. Mainlky because when you're ingesting gluten the body develops
anticors to struggle and when there is no gluten the anticor's
disappear. I am very interested in hearing from people whether they
have heard about this test and what they know  about it.