From:
Merrie Stith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:12:53 EDT

In August I sent a message asking where to go in Taos for my honeymoon.
Well, I'm finally back in the land of the sane and life is almost back
to normal after the wedding and honeymoon. Sorry my summary took so long
to get out, but here it is.

Many people suggested going to the Wild Oats in Santa Fe.  There was
also Cid's in Taos.  Several suggestions included bringing my own food -
which I did.  Folks mentioned that mexican food is much easier to find
GF that other restaurants, which I fully agree with, but be careful.
You still need to make sure that you talk with the chef or server about
sauces etc.  and specify corn tortillas.

Here's what we did!

Basically we didn't do much eating out.  We rented a "casita" (guest
house) for a week which had the kitchen in it.  This was GREAT.  Our
casita had a beautiful view, hot tup, the works.  So we cooked all but
three meals.  In Taos there is a health food store called Cid's.  It has
some GF food, but not a great selection.  Taos is not that big of a
town.  I brought a lot of my own food with me (including some leftover
gf wedding cake).

We only ate out at Mexican / Southwestern places because of the
prevalance of GF food in these dishes.  BEWARE of mole (pronounced mo-
lay).  This is the red or green sauce on a lot of dishes.  Authentic
places SHOULD use cornstarch - but everywhere we asked they used flour.
We went at off times, so that my questions did not overly burden an
already busy kitchen staff.  I found that helps a lot.

We ate at one place in Santa Fe called "Coyote Cafe" on the Plaza.  They
were very accomodating.  The server was very aware of the ingredients of
the dishes, and when in doubt, didn't hesitate to go to the chef.  If I
couldn't have what she asked the chef about, she came back with
suggestions.  I felt better eating there than any other place I've been
to before.I didn't get a reaction, but it was also the most expensive
restaurant I've ever gone to.  What the heck - it was my honeymoon.

For anyone interested in going to the Taos area - there are a lot of
vacation rentals all year round.  Most of these places are cabins in the
mountains for ski season, but they also are available during the summer
months.  The one I stayed at was luxurious and beautifully decorated.
For most people a vacation also means you can get away from cooking.  As
a celiac I dreaded not being able to cook my own meals, and renting a
place with a kitchen saved me a lot of stress.

Hope this helps -
Merrie in KS