Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 22:44:13 -0500

Dear listmemembers,

I'm sorry this took so long, but being an AOL subscriber, I had some trouble
retrieving mail......

Here is a summary of rsuggestions I received about being itchy- due to DH ,
eczema, or other conditions when one cannot or will not take Dapsone, or it
is not yet working...

RX:
cortisone creams - Triamcinolone, Temovate E, Elocon, DesOwen, Diprolene,
Kenalog, Westcort, et al... various responses. A few people said they
actually worked. Many commented that they began to react to the cortisone and
that it even  made things worse.
Oral prednisone - half-n-half. It apparently worked for some, not for others.

OverTheCounter:
Pills- Benadryl, Sudafed, Atarax (generic is hydroxizine) Various replies.
What worked for one, did not work for another.
Anti itch creams: Benadryl  - wroks a bit, then makes it worse, Pramegel and
Itch-X (Sold at Walmart vert cheeep) both contain pramoxine - pretty good
anti-itch - my itch gel of preference. Fresh aloe vera also suggested.
Skin Cap- a spray for eczema, psoriasis conditions. Has been sold in Europe
for years apparently and has just been approved for US. Contains zinc
pyrithione (?) Have only read about it. haven't found anyone who has tried
it.
Softening Lotions - Lubriderm, Cetaphil, Eucerin, Emu Oil, bathing in Almond
oil. I found Calendula Cream by Nature Works a good buy for softening because
I'm so allergic to other things. I guess here it's best to hit the health
food stores and just read labels to find creams that don't contain anything
you cannot have. Apparently Calendula (Marigold) is very soothing to skin.
Other:
Vitamin A, Fatty Acids (Evening Primrose Oil, Omega 3, 6, and 9 oils, Flax
seed oil)
UV light treatments (called PUVA I think)
cold compresses - I've spent many a night with ice packs trying to calm my
skin so I      could sleep!
water purifier/water softener - We plan on checking out Sears for one soon.
Anyone know anything about these?
A vet shampoo called Histacalm
Homeopathic Pills - Sulphur, urtica Urens, Natrum Sulphuricum, Hepar
Sulphuris Calcareum.

I think that does it. Apparently what works for one does not necessarily work
for someone else. I hope someone can get a workable solution here. Thanks for
all the advice!

Jennifer
Houston, TX