From:
Wendy Washington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:23:02 -0500

Thanks to ALL who responded to my post. I was overwhelmed by the
helpfulness of so many on the list, even those who warned me that I
cannot FORCE change, I can only INSPIRE change. From your responses, I
am fully prepared to head for Western New York! Here's the plan .

I will take an extra copy of my favorite gluten-free cookbook, marked
with a star next to each of my favorite recipes. I'll leave the cookbook
with them as a gift.

I'll take gluten-free baking mixes and sampler boxes of products, plus
the catalogs from which I ordered these products. While there, I'll
prepare and serve these items from my motorhome, not to impose on them
in their own kitchen. I'll give the catalogs to them, highlighting the
products they've tasted and enjoyed in my motorhome.

I'll obtain a gluten-free list from the local Wegman's grocery store
(probably the most USEFUL, PRACTICAL thing to do for them). I'll also
take an extra copy of the Tri-County Celiac Sprue Support Group's Food
Guide to leave with them for shopping assistance (a TREMENDOUSLY helpful
resource).

I'll take the reference of Robert Zeilinski, MD, 295 Essjay Rd,
Williamsville, NY 14221, ph# (716) 630-1059. Doctor Zeilinski Practices
in Hematology and Oncology. (Someone shared this also: This doctor's
wife is a Celiac and he is quite knowledgeable on CD. If you call his
office you must tell them the call is regarding CD. GI Doctor is Dr
Dorothy Trubish (also Dr Zeilinski Wife's GI ), 295 Essjay Rd ,
Williamsville, NY 14221, ph# (716) 857-8621. She is a very thorough
Doctor and knowledgeable in CD.)

I will encourage them to schedule an appointment with Dr. Zeilinski. I
will tell them the facts of letting celiac disease go undiagnosed and
untreated: Common symptoms include diarrhea, constipation, nausea,
vomiting, anorexia, intestinal gas, bloating, abdominal distention,
cramps, or lactose intolerance. Untreated celiac disease may cause
failure to grow, fatigue, weakness, irritability, inability to
concentrate, infertility, or delayed puberty in teens. Lack of specific
nutrients may result in anemia, osteoporosis, other bone problems,
depression, atopic dermatitis, defects in tooth enamel, night blindness,
mouth ulcers, clotting disorders, and many other seemingly unrelated
conditions. Untreated celiac disease has also been linked an increased
risk of certain types of cancer, especially intestinal lymphoma. I will
refer them to www.friendsofceliac.com to find out more information.

I'll take the reference of WNY Gluten Free Diet Support Group @
716-636-6021, P.O. Box 1835, Williamsville, NY 14231-1835. The group
meets the 2nd Saturday of each month. The next meeting is 2/10/01 at
South Buffalo Mercy Hospital, Cafeteria B 565, Abbott Rd, Buffalo. I
will plan that my trip corresponds with a meeting date, so I can invite
them to attend the meeting with me. Hopefully, we will attend the
support group meeting together and they will see for themselves -- and
feel -- what words cannot describe when you find many others who are in
the same condition!

I'll prepare a folder for each of them with a humorous caption on the
front: "If you are a descendant of (the family last name), you may have
inherited more than your good looks!" (reference to celiac disease,
explaining that it is a genetic, auto-immune condition). Inside the
folder, I'll place a personal letter that I've written to the
individual, the TCCSSG Food Guide, mail order catalogs and food lists
mentioned above, plus fact sheets listing the symptoms and the
consequences of going undiagnosed and untreated -- with emphasis on the
increased risk of getting intestinal lymphoma.

I'll ask them to participate in the University of Maryland's study,
which is free. I'll have the information sent to them, including test
tubes and directions for the lab technician, and will ask them to take
it along on their doctor visit to the above-referred doctor.

I must point out that the response I loved the best was this one: "If
you are feeling/looking better on your diet, you can tell them. You may
also want to check with locals (if you do get support group contacts)
about health food stores, good local brands, restaurants not only to
tell your family, but so that you demonstrate for them a successful,
polished gf lifestyle and not the endless round of accidents,
limitations, and scrutinizing of sources/products that is worth it when
you know the risks and benefits but can look intimidating to people who
still aren't convinced they have the disease (if, in fact, they do,
although it seems a good guess from what you say) ."

Thanks so much to all of you who helped me put this plan together! Sorry
the summary is so long, but wanted to share the whole picture with you.

Wendy Washington

*Glutenfree for LIFE!*