From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:00:14 -0400

I  make kreplach for Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year), which is coming up on Oct. 3. I make a large amount and freeze them and defrost for whenever I have chicken soup.

For those with no idea what kreplach are, they are similar to meat ravioli but instead of serving them on a plate in sauce, they are served in chicken soup. I'm sure you can use this kreplach recipe for ravioli as well.

I use Bette Hagman's pasta recipe from The Gluten-Free Gourmet (old or revised edition).
I quadruple the recipe for 5 dozen kreplach, which I freeze in batches of half a dozen each. (They are so good that at least half a dozen don't make it to the freezer!)

I start out by sautéing about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef in a frying pan (I add a tiny amount of oil), with one large diced onion. I also sometimes toss in diced fresh garlic. Salt and pepper. I let this cool to the touch or make it the day before and refrigerate.

I bring a large pot of water to boil (or two pots, if you have).

Have some extra gf flour handy for dusting the rolling pin, the surface you are working on, etc. Also have a cup of water handy that you can use as the "glue" when you seal up the kreplach.

I roll out 1/4 of the dough (remember, I quadrupled) (or use one recipe batch) at a time. Quite thin...but not thin enough to tear.
I cut slices in the dough so that I have squares or triangles that are about 2 1/2 inches-3 inches across. Place some of the filling on each piece. With your fingertip, put alittle water along the edges and fold them in half, typically to make a triangle, but they'll taste the same no matter what the shape. I use a fork to finish the edges. Amount of filling? You'll see what works. Too much, you'll tear the dough. Too little...it folds too easily.

Drop them into boiling water a few at a time and let cook for about 10 minutes. Remove and drain.

Note: When quadrupling the recipe, leave out alittle of the xanthan gum or it gets too sticky.

I also use this same dough to make the Chinese noodles that are described in the book. Instead of boiling, you cut the dough into strips and drop into hot oil. Great in soup.

Enjoy. This is easier than it sounds and doesn't take that long.