From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2010 13:27:40 -0700

Hi Everyone,
I am so sorry that this is so late in coming.

Here is my original question:
Poster:       Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      GF Bread recipes

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know about a replacement for dry milk powder for GF breads? I have been unable to find it in the stores (GF) and do not like to order it over the internet. I'd rather replace it with something else. thank you.
I guess I should have said that the dry milk i have been able to find says that it is made in a facility that also produces wheat.

Answers I received:
You can use regular milk, but you have to adjust the liquids in your recipe. Don't recall the ratio to change it.
I buy non fat dry(sometimes called powdered ) milk at the supermarket or Wal-Mart.

I use coconut milk in my GF bread

I assume you can't have dairy? We use Vance's dairy-free powder.  Comes in plain and chocolate.  I use the plain all the time when the recipe calls for dry milk powder.  You will most likely find this in a health foods store, or Whole Foods.

I baked wheat bread for decades and found no need for any milk.  I realize that GF bread recipes tend to be very finely tuned to make the impossible happen, but I'll be you can fiddle with it to make it without.  Maybe a trifle less liquid.  Anyway, the milk doesn't do anything to help the bread rise except add a bit of lactose.  I don't see how you can tolerate the stuff anyway, between the lactose and the Devil in the Milk.  I can't drink cows milk from the store at all, and get headaches from cheese unless it's goat cheese.

It has been several years since I checked, but none of the dry milks I checked had any gluten in them. I know that I should check more often since a product can change from week to week but dry milk has been one of the things that I am confident about.

I personally omit it from the recipe and its perfectly fine.
from a Nutritional coach

How about Dari-Free.  It is made of potatoes.  Comes in white and chocolate.  It is manufactured by Vance's Foods.

I remember reading in one of Bette Hagman's books that one could sub baby
formula, or did you mean a "lactose free" sub?  I use Van's powder, lactose
free, but it was ordered online.  I don't think I've ever seen any in
supermarkets/health food stores.

A tablespoon of almond meal, which gives a finer texture, and I assume it is the fat content of the almond meal that improves the texture.

what about the buttermilk powder milk? I use it and think it does real good and there is the" better than milk"
We can't have dairy, so have substituted powdered coconut milk, or almond
meal for this.  I recently bought some brown rice protein powder and I plan
to try that for the dry milk powder next time.

All dry milk powders in stores are GF.  There's no gluten added in dry milk.

I buy "NIDO" instant dry whole milk.  It is made by Nestle and can
be found in the Mexican area of any grocery store.  (I buy mine in Kroger.)
It is in a yellow-colored can, usually 12.6 oz.

Carnation is GF - can be found in Walmart stores in Ohio.  I use it in my bread recipe a lot.

On owner of a gluten-free bread bakery says:  As for milk powders, you could try nut flours unless nuts are an issue for you.  In my experience, you could try simply leaving it out altogether.  It shouldn't have much of an effect on the finished product.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  Dry rice milk powder might be an option for you as well.

Thank you for all of your answers. and again, I am sorry for the lateness of my summary. Hope these answers help others, too.

Sandy

*******
*******