Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:00:06 -0500

Thanks to all who provided referrals to doctors or other healthcare
professionals in the Southern California area. I have summarized those
referrals below.

Several of you have asked about my leg pain and whether it might be leg
cramps or restless leg syndrome. Unfortunately, I don't think either of
those are it. Both legs hurt from just below the knee to just above the
ankle. The pain changes locations quite often and sometimes it is aching
and sometimes it is shooting pain. There are also times when it feels like
bubbles are popping under my skin. Physical therapy has helped but we're
still not sure exactly what is wrong. My physical therapist believes it is
neurological, but figures it might take visits to many different
neurologists to actually diagnose it (due to the weird, non-specific
symptoms). I'm not very optomistic at this point, but we'll see what
happens!

Thanks again for all your help,

Lisa

SUMMARY:

I have found almost no one in Southern California who understands celiac
disease, but here are two M.D.'s who do. Dr. Robert Zipser, a
gastroenterologist in San Dimas (east of Los Angeles, not too far from
Pomona/West Covina). He is an advisor to the Celiac Disease Foundation.
His number is 909-599-8421. Dr. John Garvie, a gastroenterologist in San
Diego, is supposedly opening a celiac clinic at UCSD one of these days. A
couple of people have been to see him. I've heard good and not-so-good,
but I may go have a consultation with him. His number is 619-543-2357. Ask
for Liz.

Holistic MD in L.A. He is excellent at trying to find out underlying
reasons for symptoms such as malfunctioning liver, adrenals, etc. and uses
lots of supplements. He accepts no insurance and is very expensive, but
I'll give you his name and number anyway: Dr. Soram Singh Khalsa, 310-274-
6200 in Beverly Hills
I would try Debbie Lee for the nutrition part.  (She is also the person in
charge of the Orange County Celiac chapter in Irvine).
Debbie Lee (949) 830-1891
I suggest one of the following in the Los Angeles area:

Dr. Wilfred Weinstein at UCLA at (310) 825-3659 or one of his associates,
Dr. Jacobs in Tarzana at (818) 708-6070 or Dr. Lori Kam at (818) 708-6000.
There is a clinical nutritionist/chiropractor in Solana Beach who TOTALLY
gets celiac disease, gluten intolerance, and a lot more.  The beauty is
that he's not myopic (some doctors ONLY look at celiac disease -- that's
not good, either).

His name is Robert Seamon -- (858)   792-0101
suggest you call Celiac Disease Foundation in Studio City Calif
(818) 990-2354
Ask for Elaine Monarch (the Executive Director and Founder)
And discuss your problem with her.
Evelyn Tribole is a registered dietician who also lectures at Celiac
Disease Foundation meetings.  She is awesome and a top-notch dietician.
She lives in Irvine, Ca.  If you are looking for a nutrtionist, Debbie Lee
is a celiac nutritionist who has a business consulting celiacs. She is
also in the same area.