From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:52:50 -0700

Hi Listmates,

After sending the message to this listserve clarifying that Kosher for Passover
foods could still contain wheat, I've received some e-mails that
indicate confusion about what kosher means.  I don't think it would be
useful to this list to go into detail about what kosher means, but I
think this abbreviated explanation will be helpful.

So briefly, here goes:

Yes, the products that are kosher can definitely have wheat or any of the other
grains that celiacs can't have.  Kosher means that the manufacturing company
has gone through a very stringent  process of being assessed for the way the
final product is made, the type of ingredients used, the source of ingredients,
whether other products also processed in the same facility and many more items,
sometimes even including ethics.  It's kind of like a company going through
an ISO 2000 process.

When a product is marked Kosher for Passover, it means the rules got even more
stringent, but this jewish holiday lasts only 8 days (usually in late March
or April), so the rest of the year, observant Jews eat foods that are marked
Kosher, but there is no reason religiously why grains wouldn't be included in
the product.

As I mentioned previously, the big plus in products that are marked Kosher is
that the ingredients list is much more detailed and can be trusted.  It's also
very useful for those who are trying to avoid dairy products, since
kosher products so clearly indicate whether or not dairy is present.