From:
Jane Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:22:35 EDT

Does anyone know anything about the Customs/Quarantine proceedures for food
when traveling to Australia?

My 16 yr. old daughter is going to Australia on Wed. as an exchange student
for 3 weeks.  I sent a box of food to her host family.  When they received
it, it had been opened by the Quarantine people at customs and several items
taken out.  There was a letter that stated they quarantine anything with
milk, eggs, chicken, and popcorn in it.

They took out several boxes of rice pasta that I sent.  All it contains is 2
kinds of rice and water.  Does anyone know anything about these proceedures?

Also, I was planning to bake a loaf of her bread and send it with her.  But
now I'm wondering if they will take that away from her.

If I write a letter explaining the situation will that help?  Should I get a
note from her Doctor?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Time is short.

Thanks,
Jane in CA