From:
Tim Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:35:36 -0700

Hi,

Since people on the list have been remarking on how GF breads tend to be
very high in starch (potato or tapioca) I though I would share my recipe.

First I grind flour in my Whisper Mill – it makes enough for a few batches
of bread.

To make flour:
6 cups brown rice (regular – not basmati)
2 cups Moong Dal (also called mung dahl)
Moong dal is a very mild – non-gassy legume from India. My tiny, rural
health food store carries it because several customers desire it – it is
from the “Deep” – see www.Deepfoods.com <http://www.deepfoods.com/>
Mix well
The moong dal balances the protein of the brown rice, and it increases the
fiber content of the bread
            ½ cup has 24 grams of protein (according to the label)

To make bread: (for 2 pound loaf – can be used for machine or in bread pans)
This makes a surprisingly light and pleasing bread
Dry:
3 ½  cups GF flour blend (above)
½ cup potato starch – (If you are really hard core against this – then just
use another i/2 cup flour – but the bread will be more dense)
1 TABL xantham gum (slightly heaping) (I don’t use guar gum as it seems to
cause reactions in some people)
½ TABL salt
1 TABL Flax seed, ground (I use my coffee grinder) flax seed adds omega 3’s
and fiber and it helps the consistency of the bread

Wet:
2 cups warm water
3 eggs
1 TABL honey
½ TABL vinegar

I TABL yeast – slightly heaping

I then follow Bette Hagmans’ basic instruction for bread. I use a Zoribuschi
breadmaker

More tips:

I also use the flours above to make Bette Hagman’s basic cake mix (page 53
in the Gluten free Gourmet cooks fast and healthy).  For more delicate
items – I will add tapioca starch to replace some of the flour. (I’ve also
found that in making pie dough, more tapioca starch is needed).

I use 1 teaspoon of stevia powder to replace the 21/3 cups of sugar in the
cake mix. That is a great way to replace some bad carbs!) I buy NOW brand
powder. To learn more on stevia – do a search on the Internet…

I use stevia because it is healthier and my son doesn’t seem to get so many
colds now – if I limit white sugar. (He used to be out sick a lot) Another
thing that has helped him tremendously is Cod Liver oil – mint flavored from
www.gardenoflifeusa.com <http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/>   - They said that
the children in Iceland have the healthiest immune systems in the world, and
they use cod liver oil all the time. That was good enough for me…so I got
some and he has been much healthier.

Anyway, my family loves having the occasional treat – and I’m sure it helps
keep my son (age 11) on the GF diet. I’m also gluten free, but I have to be
careful with the treats! But I do allow some of that – I just watch the
portion amount and frequency!

Sincerely,

Mary Kretzmann
California