From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:37:02 PST

Beverly Sosulski wrote:

>Kelloggs products contain more than 0.02g/kg of Gluten and
>are toxic to Coeliacs.

I would be interested in learning how the amount of 0.02 g/kg was arrived
at.  I would also like to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, such
an extremely small amount of gluten has never been demonstrated in any
scientific way to be harmful to celiac patients.  To put this quantity in
other ways, it is 0.002% and a normal serving of cereal, say 50 g, would
have only 1 mg of gluten in it at the 0.02 g/kg level.

I am not saying that this low level isn't harmful, particularly for someone
in a debilitated state. The question has never been addressed adequately in
a scientific way.  I say, on the other hand, there is a possibility (my
educated guess based on what I think is a reasonably good knowledge of what
testing has been done) that for the average celiac, such a small amount is
not harmful.  For example, in the recently published study on oats (Finnish
study), the patients were fed a mixture of oats and wheat starch.
Accordingly, they were probably ingesting more than 0.02 g/kg of gluten
(from the wheat starch, which apparently contained 0.74 mg of gluten per
gram of starch).  Recovering celiac patients continued to recover
(Janatuinin et al. NEJM 1995: "We found that the use of oats by patients
with celiac disease as part of a gluten-free diet had no unfavorable effects
on adult patients in remission and did not prevent symptomatic and mucosal
healing in patients with newly diagnosed disease.")

Not medical advice.

Don Kasarda, Albany, California