From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:42:46 -0400

You read the title right- that is what they are called.  I picked up a box
of Hoo-Lachmu Passover Flats from Wegmans (a grocery chain in the Northeast)
a couple of weeks ago and finally tried them.  Woo-Hoo, Hoo-Lachmu!  I found
them in a special frozen case for Kosher products.  It's way past Passover
and the Wegmans site shows that they are still listed, so they don't seem to
be seasonal like some Passover items.

It says that they're "for sandwiches, pizza, French toast, etc." They're
manufactured by Bernie's Foods in Brooklyn and distributed by KIC
www.passovericecream.com.  It says "Gluten Free" right on the front, as well
as kosher for Passover and pareve.  They are made mainly from potato starch,
eggs, and oil.  The website shows that they make pizza wheels as well,
already topped with tomato sauce and cheese, but I didn't see those at
Wegmans.  The flats are oblong, about 4"x8" and they work fine for a
do-it-yourself really quick pizza.  There are 5 in the box so at $7.99 it
comes out to a pretty reasonable $1.60/flat.

I followed the heating directions on the box that said to put the flat on a
piece of aluminum foil (after partially defrosting it in the microwave to
get the frost off the edges) and then I covered it with tomato sauce,
Canadian bacon and mozzarella and baked in the oven preheated to 450 degrees
for 10 minutes.  It was so good that I promptly made another!  This time I
used a pizza stone.  I don't recommend using aluminum foil as the toppings
ran over the edges and stuck to the foil and it was hard to unstick the
pizza, especially as the whole assembly was soft and flexible and hot!  On
the pizza stone, the bottom comes out crisper and I think you could eat it
out of hand after cutting it in two.  A cookie sheet would work, too.

Hope you can find these.  It's an item I plan to keep stocked in the freezer
for a quick pizza when the mood strikes.  It's a much less expensive
alternative to some of the other pizza shells out there and as good or
better.  You can't beat that- woo hoo!

Mary in upstate NY

P.S.  I just googled Hoo-Lachmu and found this note: "Its name is a play on
the Aramaic phrase "ha lachma anya" from the haggadah used during the seder,
which says of matzo, "this is the bread of affliction."
read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08110/874800-85.stm#ixzz0sYH5jS00

*******
*******