From:
Peter Hyatt - BRIDGE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:33:02 EDT

Jim, Thank you once again, for your measured good sense. This
list is of no value if it sinks into an absolutist, preaching
forum. There are very good reasons for each of us to find what is
right for ourselves. Clearly, it seems to me that there is a wide
range of sensitivity among us Celiacs which seems to imply that a
wide range in our degree of concern is appropriate. Judging from
others in my family there is also a number of ways we Celiacs
need to address the question of discipline. All these approaches
are probably legitimate.
     As for me I find there are some real advantages in my diet
discipline. In restaurants while my wife and others are reading
over the menu and trying to make up their mind I have already
read the 5 or so choices available to me, made my decision and
with just a touch of arrogance put down the menu, Always the
first. It's great fun finding some small town greasy spoon and
ordering their house specialty Bacon/cheese Burger with extra
lettuce, and oh, hold the bun. (Watch the server's face.)
It always amazes me the number of people who will bring a
"special dish" to church potlucks, Just for me! My wife loves it
when I use our bread machine because I always clean it out so
well. And I'm the family expert on fruit stuffing for the
turkey.I almost always get the best meal on the airplane, or the
only special lunch at the catered conference. The doctors give me
special attention because right there on the front of their chart
it says "Celiac, Gluten free medication only!".
     This diet has taught me how to be assertive, humors, alert.
(Modesty is not my best thing) All this is not a bad thing at
all.
     I say all this simply to illustrate that a Celiac can face
this rather special discipline without it's becoming a life
obsession or a barrier to normalcy. It might even be an asset.