From:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:52:44 -0400

I would like to hear from those on the list who are extremely sensitive
to gluten in terms of how you cope with the real world.
I have been aware of having CD for about 1 3/4 years now.  I have been
strictly GF during that time.  I have discovered that I am EXTREMELY
sensitive to gluten and that I also have multiple other food
sensitivities.  No matter what I try, I can not eat out.  THis includes
not only not eating in restaurants, but also not eating in other people's
houses.  Even if I bring my own food, I frequently get ill.  I can not
eat in my sister's house, who also has CD, but 2 of her kids do not so
the house is not GF.  I also regularly react to foods supposedly safe
(some tomato sauces, chips, cereals, etc.)  I have tried many of the
suggestions posted on this list serve.  Some have helped - a very tiny
amount; others have made me much sicker.  I am currently taking somewhere
around 2 dozen pills a day - medications and various supplements - the
things that I found that at least didn't make me worse, and yet my health
continues to go slowly downhill.  For those of you who also are extremely
sensitive, how do you cope?  How do you deal with feeling so isolated?
It is especially difficult for me as I moved to a new city a year ago and
I am having difficulty meeting people without being able to go out to
eat.  I got to the point that I would have just gone on a liquid diet of
something like Ensure, but it has dairy, as do just about all nutritional
supplements, and I react to dairy.
Please do not write back if you wish to yell at me without knowing all
the facts of my situation - of whether or not I have tried your favorite
supplement,or for eating some imagined terrible food or for supposedly
not being more assertive in restaurants.  I am only interested in hearing
from those who are so sensitive that they are on the verge of feeling
that ALL food is the enemy.
Thanks for your support
Diane
Denver