Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:03:52 -0600

Dear Listies -

I'd like to clarify this for list mates that have dry eye
and/or Blepharitis -

Blepharitis and Dry eye are two different things.
Blepharitis is inflammation of the rim of the eye, caused
by clogging of tiny oil glands (according to my opthamologist).

It is helpful to apply very warm compresses (a wet washcloth,
rolled up or folded a few times) for a few minutes, twice a day.
This unclogs the oil glands.

Blepharitis makes the eye look more red, because of the inflammed
rim of the eyelid.

Dry eye is a lack of tear production or inadequate tear production.
It may or may not involve atrophy (shrinkage) of the tear glands.

Both Blepharitis and Dry eye are associated with Sjogrens Syndrome.
So is dryness of the mouth.  Sjogrens is diagnosed by a blood test,
but it can give 40% false negatives.  The definitive test is a lip
biopsy, taking tiny bits of salivary glands from inside the lip under a
local anesthetic (through a very tiny hole made with a very tiny sterile
punch device).

The lip biopsy is done by a dermatologist or rheumatologist.  I had
it done at U of Chicago by a top dermatologist.

Dry eye can also be associated with Fibromyalgia.  My lip biopsy
and blood test were both negative for Sjogrens.  I already knew
I had Fibromyalgia.  Fibromyalgia is diagnosed by tender points
or trigger points in many areas of the body.

Some people with Fibromyalgia have reactions to lights, especially
to fluorescent lights, and I am one of them.

Sjogrens can also have tender points or trigger points.  Both
disorders cause pain of the soft tissues.  Osteoarthritis and
arthralgia (pain), pain of the soft tissues, muscular weakness
are common in Fibromyalgia.  Some people have Chronic
Fatigue Syndrome with it, too.

These are autoimmune disorders, and Celiac Sprue has many
probable and possible links to other autoimmune disorders.

Hope this helps.

Vicki Jones
Homewood, IL