From:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:50:18 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my questioning of the lack of GF convenience products, etc.  I had a flood of e-mails, so I am sorry this is late in coming.

  A good majority of you agreed with me in that we just don’t have that many options.  There are those of us, as well, who do NOT live near a Whole Foods or Wild Oats.  Maybe one day Whole Foods will have mail order.

  A bunch of you agreed with me on the “natural” taste of many GF foods.  Who wants their breakfast bar to have “pea fiber” in it?  That was a big laugh, but it is true.  Manufacturers put weird ingredients in GF foods to add fiber and texture, but sometimes those end up tasting a little “old fashioned.”  We are in the 2000’s, we should have more options.  For every brownie and cookie dough that is offered at say, Cold Stone Creamery, there should be a GF option along with it.

  Quite a few of you said there is refrigerated cookie dough out there to mail order:  http://glutenfreeda.easystorecreator.net/  and https://glutenfreekneads.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1  I checked these and out they look great.  For those of you who can tolerate potato/potato flour/potato starch, that’s great.  I have intolerance to white potatoes (nightshade vegetable/arthritis link).  I am going to try the potato free flavor.

  LeTov brand pizza crust and chocolate chip cookies from Israel were mentioned.

  Amy’s GF, dairy free pizza with spinach.

  http://www.gfgreatbakes.com/ for another refrigerated cookie dough.

  Schaar and Ener-G brand crackers.

  http://www.gfnaturals.com/ cookie mix.

  One person said I was venting.  Well, that’s kind of the point of this e-mail was to inquire about why we don’t have options.  This person said the options are becoming more and more, which is true, but like I said above, for every option there is for a non-Celiac, there should be a Celiac option.

  Lundberg Rice Chips, Mission Corn Tortillas.

  Make a bunch of cookie dough and then freeze it and bake a few at a time.

  A few of you said that manufacturers try to cater to “allergen free.”  Which means not only GF, but dairy free, sugar free, soy free…and I loved this one, “Taste free.”  Not just GF, but everything free.  I know there are many of us who have more than just gluten we have problems with, but not usually “everything free.”  That goes back to the “natural” taste.

  Sprouts is now carrying Glutino.

  A few of you mentioned Amazon.com.

  Glutano GF crackers.

  More Amy’s was mentioned, their GF mac and cheese, as well as Kinninick brand.

  One person said GF bakery items are full of fat and calories.

  One person said that it is best to eat fruits and veggies and eat as healthy as possible.  Hmmm…that would be for everyone, not just for Celiacs.  We should all eat healthy, but it’s nice to be able to stop and grab a muffin with that Starbucks, too!

  Pamela’s Incredible Chocolate Chunk Cookies mix.

  Authentic Foods mixes can be found @ http://www.glutenfree-supermarket.com/

  http://www.google.com/base/a/vdolcourt/11744529277168920777 for good crackers.

  http://www.celiacspecialties.com/ out of Detroit.

  Another person said that those yummy things we remember don’t taste the same since the Trans Fats has been removed and sugar has been replaced with High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Things just aren’t the same.  “Garbage in, garbage out” was the quote on this e-mail.

  Now that we have Redbridge by Anheuser Busch, other companies will get on the bandwagon.  True, but it is SO SAD to have beer before other great items like cookies, breads, muffins, etc.

  http://www.glutenevolution.com/ for Bread by Anna

  Cause Your Special mixes, Miss Roben’s Truffle Brownie Mix, South Beach Diet High Protein Bars, and this person said her biggest complaint was the price of the GF foods.  5x’s the cost!  So true!

  Hamburger buns made from a Bette Hageman cookbook.

  Progresso’s Chicken Cheese Enchilada soup found at Wal-Mart is supposedly good.  I bought some yesterday.

  www.sunnyvalleywheatfree.com has a lot to offer, out of WA.

  http://www.greattasteglutenfree.com/ for more cookie dough.

  All in all, everyone agreed we need to have better choices than what is currently available.  I have a small health food store here in town that has a good selection, but what about those of you who aren’t near any health food store and the only thing available is an Albertson’s, Safeway, or little food store?  We should be able to walk into a store and be able to find something available that is GF.  Not just fruits and veggies, but crackers and bread and soup, as well.

  Thank you so much to all who responded.  I’m glad I was a voice for those of you who just hadn’t said it yet.

  Kelli
  Casper, WY

      "...He just takes the tractor another round...And pulls the plow across the ground...And sends up another prayer...He says Lord I never complain I never ask why...But please don't let my dream run dry...Underneath, Underneath this...Amarillo sky..."
  -Jason Aldean "Amarillo Sky"