From:
Lori Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:51:35 -0500

Recipe #3
Ingredients:

1.5 tsp Yeast, active dry
1 tsp sugar (I used maple)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Tapioca flour
1.5 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 tsp Unflavored gelatin
1 TB Onion flakes
3/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Lecithin Granules
3/4 cup warm water
2 TB Canola oil
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Combine and mix dry ingredients, including yeast. Add
liqids (all remaining ingredients) and beat dough 2
min
(dough will be soft and sticky)...they suggest not
using dough hooks, and I found the regular beaters to
work just fine (my mother and I blew out a hand mixer
trying a bagel recipie so I was hesitant). Transfer to

8 english muffin rings (or aluminum foil rings) on a
baking sheet (be sure to coat with oil or GF cooking
spray first. Cover with aluminum foil and let rist 30
min. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 min.

When I made my buns, I omitted the Lecithin, used
vegetable oil instead of canola (which does not agree
with my tummy), used rice vinegar i/o cider vinegar,
and table salt rather than sea salt. I have no idea
what english muffin rings are, so I folded aluminum
foil over itself a few times and formed it into a
sturdy ring that was about average for homemade
hamburer size, this was easier than tracking down the
english muffin rings and worked just fine. Next
time...as a side note I will omit onion flakes (I'm
not
a big fan of onion flavoring.  One last note...the
recipie is supposed to yeild 8 buns, but I managed 4
normal sized buns (about the size of a large fist and
maybe 1.5-2.0 inches thick).

Recipe#4
Recipe #4

they can easily be made, and are much better than
anything ordered.
Just
take any bread mix or batter and drop like biscuits on
a baking sheet.
Raise for about 15 min. and bake about 15 min. at 350.
 I use a recipe
obtained
from the list found
below.
Janet
from
Modesto
CA
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9811B&L=celiac&P=R2280&D=0&H=0&O=Thttp://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa&T=1
------------
SANDWICH BUNS/PIZZA SHELLS/CINNAMON ROLLS

Recipe #5 From the Gluten Free Gourmet
Here is the recipe to make about 8 buns:

3 cups GF Mix (I use 1 c. white or brown rice flour, 1
c. tapioca flour, 3/4 c. cornstarch and 1/4 c. corn
flour but if I don't have all of those, I just mix up
whatever I have being sure not to use too much of one
kind of flour)

1/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 c. dry milk powder or non-dairy substitute (I use
Vegan Rice Protein powder)
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer (I don't have this ingredient,
so I just used 3 whole eggs for the recipe instead of
this and the 1 egg and 2 whites)
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 c. lukewarm water
1 tbsp yeast granules
1/4 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. water
1 tsp vinegar
1 egg plus 2 egg whites (as mentioned earlier, I just
use three whole eggs)

In the bowl of a heavy duty mixer, combine flour mix,
1/4 c. sugar, xanthan gum, milk powder, unvlavored
gelatin, egg replacer (if used) and salt.

Dissolve the 2 tsp sugar in the lukewarm water and mix
in the yeast.  Set aside.  Combine the shortening and
water in a saucepan and heat until shortening melts.

Turn mixer on low.  Blend dry ingredients and slowly
add shortening and water mixture and vinegar.  Blend
then add eggs.  This mixture should feel slightly
warm.  Pour in the yeast water and beat at highest
speed for 3 1/2 minutes.  The texture of the dough
will be more like cake batter than regular bread
dough, so don't be alarmed.

Spoon the dough into the lightly greased (I just spray
the cookie sheet and rings with Pam) forms placed on a
cookie sheet until about 1/2 to 3/4 full.  Let rise to
about double in height (or just to the top of the
rings--should take about 1/2 hour or so depending on
how warm it is in your kitchen) and bake in a
preheated 375 oven for 20 minutes.