Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:09:49 -0800

One poster indicated that he approaches hospital stays from a positive
discussion of what he CAN eat, not what he CANNOT eat.  This is what I
usually discuss with the dietician after I have faxed them the CANNOT list.
I think it is important that they know this is a disease to be taken
seriously, if not for my stay for the sake of the next celiac's stay.  This
is the fax I send to dieticians & hotel banquet/convention staff prior to a
visit.  It is not a demanding request and my follow up discussions are
always in a polite, helpful tone.  As a restaurant owner, I know how
difficult it can be to deal with special diets, but I also realize how
important it is to provide a safe meal.

Vicki

Head of Food Service/Head Chef,

I have celiac sprue disease.  Because this genetic disease that prevents me
from consuming gluten is not particularly common in the US, I want to share
some of it's guidelines with you ahead of time.

Celiacs must not consume Wheat, Rye, Oats or Barley to avoid intestinal
damage and severe reactions.  Gluten-free foods must not even TOUCH foods
containing gluten.  Because this is NOT an allergy, I cannot tolerate even a
tiny bit of gluten. Common sources of the offending grains are:

Flour,
Thickeners and  Modified Food Starch, unless identified as Corn derived, I
thicken any sauces that aren't "reduced" with Mochiko Asian Sweet Rice Flour
from the supermarket.
Coating mixes,
Spice mixes,
Sauces,
Soy sauce (I use Wheat-Free Tamari--not regular Tamari)(LaChoy brand soy
sauce is supposedly  Gluten Free),
Marinades,
Pre-prepared broths,
Malt, Malt flavoring, Malt extract,
TVP (texturized veg. protein),
HPP (hydrolyzed plant prot.),
HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable protein),
MSG
Pasta, Croutons, Stuffings,
Self-basting poultry , Imitation bacon and Imitation Seafood.
Rice mixes which contain vermicelli (which is a wheat pasta)
Wheat-coated french fries

In Addition: Caramel Color, Hash Browns, Rice Syrup, Triticale, Quinoa
grains, Spelt, Distilled vinegar---( I eat all salads without dressings,
just lemon wedges and parmesan cheese if available for this reason), and
anything deep fat fried in a fryer that has been used for crumb-coated or
wheat-coated products.

I know this sounds like a lot, but if food is prepared simply and
freshly, it really isn't.   Usually meat prepared plain can be served
sauceless unless the sauce is a reduced type, not thickened with flour.
Lunches are always a challenge, but green salad and a bit of meat or egg
will usually hold me.  One major problem with restaurant prepared foods
is cross-contamination of food.  ie.  tossing croutons on a salad when
you forgot to leave them off and picking them off the salad (crumbs),
not cleaning knifes that just cut breaded food, one fat fryer for all
fried foods.....

I really appreciate the extra effort I know this takes on the part of the
food service staff.