From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:45:56 -0500

I posted that Inulin comes from roots of plants and was not wheat
containing.  Well, the web is a wonderful thing, as are eMail lists
like this, and I got three folks sending me info that this wasn't so.

Inulin is a sugar, known to physicians as a substance used to measure
kidney function.  Several correspondents pointed to a number of
commercial sites that explained that inulin was not only in the plants
I initially found on the web, but is actually present in a third of all
plants on the planet.

The question, of course, is whether in the processing of plants to get
inulin the processing is sufficient to rid it of protein contaminants
like gluten.  Wheat actually does contain inulin, so commercially
prepared inulin may come from wheat.  What purification is done, I do
not know.

I've looked and have not found what the mills do to prepare inulin.  At
this point inulin would be classed as a maybe source of gluten.  Anyone
else have any thoughts?

Stephen Holland, M.D.