From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:19:02 -0400

1. I talked to a local food pantry.  They have my name and contact information
written down if they receive a request for help by someone needing
allergen-free or gluten-free food.  This isn't the same as a disaster, as it
will be targeted to an individual or to a family.  I will also talk to the
county Public Health office to let them know that this service is available.
There are several food pantries in this area, and they all work together.
(Each family is limited to getting foods once a month due to the high
demand, and misuse by a few individuals.) There is some networking between
food pantries in different areas.  This might help towards a solution, as a
distribution system is already in place.

2. I keep Glucerna shakes (gf, but not cf, but they are lactose free) and I keep canned tropical fruit.  Outside of some bottled water and gatorade, that I keep stocked in my pantry, that is about it.  I have bought a divided tupperware type divided container (I think it has 16 or 18--1 1/4"x2"x1 1/2" deep sections) which I use for my medicine and supplement needs and I keep this stocked all the time, but use out of it everyday, so it saves me time getting in and out of all the bottles.  I have added a foam rubber seal to this container, btw, as it was not air tight when I got it and labels.  (I think I actually got it in the craft area of Walmart.)

3.Remember that if we plan for a crisis, we are less likely to be stressed if and when it arrives:
 "In 95% of all emergencies, bystanders or victims themselves are the first to provide emergency assistance or to perform a rescue" LA Fire Dept. My wife and I are both gluten intolerant and we live outside of a small town in Washington State. There are a lot of people living in our Community and I have become co-Chair of our Disaster Preparedness Committee (everything is done by volunteers here). We have just provided a suggested home emergency kit list to our residents. It reminds them to include any necessary medication, etc. The American Red Cross website shows similar lists as does the FEMA website. The kit should also include a home evacuation plan, key contact lists and various meeting points. Remember in a disaster, the cell phones could go out, so an alternative communication scheme needs to be considered. We also use CB's here for local communications. Such a kit list has to be created by each family according to its needs, its location, etc.In our house, we cook by propane, heat by wood and electricity; but our main access road can be cut by snow, falling trees, floods, downed power poles, etc. So that a lot of us keep standby generators. We don't have a generator in our house but we do have a more than a week's supply of tinned food as well as 2 small freezers full of gluten-free food. Dry goods are also gluten-free of course.Plus a week's supply of drinking water. We are also not far from Mt. St. Helens with it's wandering ash fall and we are even closer to Mt. Rainier - a larger hazard. We moved here from California where we were subject to earthquakes - there we had very little in the way of an emergency kit. We are not totally remote as we enjoy DSL, satellite TV. Many of our current residents used to camp here before building their homes (many are retired, some are military) and the past campers were used to keeping a variety of emergency stuff around (campers are organized that way). It is important to remember that in any crisis, disaster whatever, that the trauma can be reduced by having as much normal things about you - a packed suitcase with comfortable clothes if you have to evacuate the house at any time. The shock of the crisis can render one incapable of thinking so the more planning and packing for an emergency. In the food supply kit, keep cookies, chocolate (all gluten-free), a bottle of wine (if you enjoy it) some books and other entertainments. Keep part of your kit including any medication in a tote box ready to throw in the trunk of your car.We have battery radios, spare batteries, flashlights plus "tap lights" - round circular battery lights that are arranged around the house - tap the top and the light comes on.
Also, keep an auto emergency kit, driving in during the winter could involve some other emergency so plan for it. Such as a tire inflator aerosol so that one doesn't waste time and risk replacing a wheel on a busy freeway at night in the rain with poor visibility. So the main thing is to plan for food for crisis to last you at least 5 days. Our listmembers should consider volunteering in the Red Cross or any of the other organizations that are always looking for volunteers. Now is the time to get out there - a) to help, b) to publicize gluten intolerance. Don't shrink from the strange looks and odd responses, we need to spread the word however we can. Have more people call the radio stations, tv stations and Red Cross
There are many people who do not know they are gluten intolerant, we need to spread the word about our specific genetic difference (it's not a disorder) that if ignored, can cause a large range of ailments and diseases.

4.... living in Hurricane country here is Houston - we are used to words like emergency kit, evacuate, etc.
As a matter of fact I have a few things I carry with me everywhere in my "lunch kit".  .
So for an emergency kit I would keep:
water - med. bottles, 100% juice - small bottles, canned nuts - mixed, can of almonds, sunflower seeds
raisins, package of dried fruit, rice crackers or chips, fritos - small bags, hard candy, M & M's
candy bars, bottle of salad dressing, tiny jar of mayo. canned tuna, peanut butter, jam or jelly
jar of salsa, individual cans of bean dip, pork & beans or small cans of anything you will eat cold
Non-food items:Wipes, can opener, baggies, utensils, napkins/paper towels, flashlight
disposable plastic cups (for cups, bowls, mixing etc)
I always keep the m& m's because you can take a baggie & mix up some of them with some nuts, raisins, cut up dried fruit, sunflower seeds, & fritos & have a trail mix.  I can live on that for a couple of days.
Here in each office desk we keep a flashlight, water, & a whistle.  I always carry a flashlight in my briefcase & keep one in the car with water & a heavy duty filter face mask - the kind you can get at the hardware store.  Guess I should add a mask to my briefcase.