From:
Jeanean Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 07:56:42 -0500

Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for their support.  I received almost 50 responses.  The
support helps a lot.  Here's a summary regarding my bad reaction to some
apples.

Ideas:
1. It could be the wax on the apple.
2. Pesticides.
3. I could have had a virus/flu.
4. Too much fiber.
5. The fructose content may have been a problem.
6. Some people have a problem with the phenols found in apples, wine, and
peaches.
7. The pectin might have been a problem.

Suggestions:
1. Try Alka Seltzer Gold.
2. Drink Aloe Juice.
3. Eat organic fruit.
4. Peel it.
5. Drink apple juice instead of eating the fruit because it might be a
problem with the pectin.
6. Many people seem to have problems with certain kinds of apples but not
others.  The popular kinds to eat are Granny Smith's, Macintosh, Brauburn,
and Fuji.

A lot of people seem to have reactions to apples.  So much for the adage "An
apple a day..."

And a couple of things to make you think twice:

From Diane:  "as an example of what goes on with your foods, my friend's son
began working at the local supermarket about a year ago.  Shortly after
starting there he was helping close one night, when one of his co-workers
totally saturated the onion bin with Raid insecticide.  He could not believe
what he was seeing.  He came home and told his mom that he now knew why she
had always told him to wash his produce thoroughly.  The scary thing for me
is, I have never washed onions, just peeled the 'paper' layers off.  I feel
certain the poisons are able to soak through to the inside of the onion in a
case like this.  And if this is going on out in the aisles, no telling what
is happening in the back storage area, besides what has happened before the
produce gets to the store.  Chemical poisoning is a real threat to everyone,
celiac or not, but because celiacs may be more sensitive to these things,
they may have stronger reactions."

From Sandy:  "We have had 2 occurrences of this from eating fresh fruit.  My
non-Celiac granddaughter and I.  Once with grape juice, the other from pears.
The diagnosis was toxic poison applied to the fruit in the field.  Apples are
some of the worst.  The sprays some orchards use penetrates the skin and
cannot be washed away."

In conclusion,  I think my problem was a combination of things.  The apples
weren't shiny so I don't think wax was a problem.  I may have had a virus -
my boss went home early one day the week after because he thought he had ate
some "bad chicken".  I took some pleasure in the fact that maybe I have
given him a bug. <<grin>>  I've turned my diet upside down recently by
cutting back on meat and dairy and adding more fiber - that may have
contributed to the problem.  I'm not ruling out pesticides.  The apples were
from a different grower than the apples I had been eating.  And finally, I
gave up chocolate the week before and I am trying to stay off it for a
month.  I'm sure that it has upset the apple cart (sorry, I couldn't
resist!) to go from a once or twice a day fix to nothing.

Have a great day,
Jeanean Davis
Edison  NJ   USA