From:
Joan Van Loozenoord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:53:15 -0600

Dear List Mates,

Thanks for your responses to my query about whether many of you have had
problems with reoccurring Shingles.  I received 21 responses.

Thanks also for the wishes that many of you sent for a speedy recovery.  I
started taking acyclovir within 12 hours of feeling pain.  By the next
morning, the swelling had gone down, and I didn't get any new blisters.  The
pain subsided within 3 days.  I will be taking the acyclovir a total of 10
days.

Four of you have had reoccurring Shingles yourselves and 4 others know
people who have.  One of the celiacs with reoccurring Shingles said that
each case after the first was milder.  One person's 2 bouts were 60 years
apart.  Another person who responded has had Shingles once.  Several of you
know people who have had Shingles and you suspect that they have undiagnosed
Celiac Sprue.

One respondent thought that it is not possible to get Shingles more than
once and another wrote to say that Shingles can occur more than once.  From
what I have read, 5% of people with Shingles do have repeat bouts.

Many of you questioned doctors' ability to correctly distinguish between
Dermatitis Herpetiformus (DH) and Shingles.  Several of you pointed out some
differences between DH and Shingles.  Others wondered how to tell the
difference between DH and Shingles.  DH is itchy, but not painful where
Shingles is painful, but not as itchy.  Also, fever can accompany Shingles,
but not DH.  With Shingles, the blisters are filled with liquid.  Many DH
blisters break open before being examined so it can't be determined if the
blisters contained liquid.  Shingles can be triggered by stress.  Shingles
occur on one side of the body per bout.  The blisters follow a nerve.  Mine
were in a perfectly straight line this time.

Two mentioned that acyclovir can help if started early in the disease.  One
of you stated that acyclovir will keep Shingles from reoccurring.  Note:  I
just finished taking acyclovir 6 weeks before I came down with the second
bout.  Two others mentioned that Valtrex helped them.  One of those who
found Valtrex helpful stated that they had repeated bouts of Shingles until
taking Valtrex.  Several others mentioned that acidophilus helped.  Another
mentioned using Valtrex plus the herbs Echinacea, golden seal and dandelion
root.  That person also applied a homeopathic calendula gel directly on the
lesions.

Another asked if the doctor performed a Direct Immunoflorescent Biopsy of
the lesions or blisters.  I did not think to ask for a biopsy.

One mentioned that the VA is testing a vaccine for Shingles.

Some references to web sites were given:

Have you looked at the pictures of DH on the following Website? I
have little confidence in most docs having any knowledge of DH. And I
wonder if they biopsied the area or just looked and decided. -vance
http://www.gastrolab.net/ng016.htm

Unfortunately shingles does occur over and over again.  It is caused by
a virus lodged in your nervous system, and viruses in the body cannot be
wiped out like bacteria.  Check out this web site for shingles info:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/disorders/shingles_doc.
htm#What_ is_Shingles

Suggest you visit this site maintained by the Visiting Nurses Association:
www.aftershingles.com

Thanks again for all the responses.

Joan Van Loozenoord
Denver, Colorado