From:
Barb Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:43:12 -0700

Since Valerie has sent a follow up to this topic and I forgot to send her
this info, I thought I would post it singly in hopes that it might be useful
to some of you.

1.	My house is often colder than kefir fermenting temperature so I have
poked a thermometer into a styro cooler to monitor the temp.  I then either
lightly heat my rice bag warmers periodically or put a thermos of hot water
in the cooler with the thermos cup left off so that the thermos dissipates
the heat very gradually.  This seems to maintain the temp around 70-75
degrees.

2.	Since I am so sensitive to some of the kefir or yogurt
micro-organisms in the kefir grains and commercial starters I use the
probiotic I tolerate for the kefir starter.  I imagine I could also make
yogurt with this probiotic but I have made the kefir insread.  I will be
trying a 30- hour kefir in the future.  Examples of micro-organisms that
might be found in the two fermented products are:

3.	Yogurts: Lactobaccilus strains, Streptococcus thermophilus

4.	Kefir: Saccharomyces kefir, Torula kefir, L. Caucasus, S. Lactis

5.	My probiotic is beta-glucan by BioImmersion Inc. (I am not promoting
this product!) It contains L. acidophilus, S. thermophilus, L. c. rhamnosus,
B. Longum and L. plantarum.  This helps me avoid the yeasts (Torula and
Saccharomyces) that I can't tolerate and that are sometimes found in
commercial starters, products and kefir grains.

Barb Gardner

*******
*******