From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:48:15 -0500

Hi Everyone!

Incredible, I had 83 responses to my question asking if you had
identified the root cause of getting celiac.  I think we all want more
answers or to understand the “why” !  Of course, we may never
have definitive answers but it’s interesting and very important
to ponder.  I had several people provide more than one possible
root cause, that’s why the math doesn’t add up.  There were
several people who thought they had celiac from birth, didn’t
know or just provided some health conditions (like constipation, ill,
etc.). It took me a little longer to summarize since I had so many
respond to my post, then I need to take the time to write back and
say thank you!

So, thanks again to everyone for taking the time to write.
Here is my summary…

The #1 Answer:  STRESS
32 responded - 35%
11 did not specify type of stress; 9 said childbirth, 4 said a
death(s) in the family, 3 said flu shot, 2 said child abuse, and 1
said moving

The #2 Answer:  BACTERIA, FUNGI, VIRUS, FOOD POISIONING
28 responded - 30.5%

The #3 Answer: SURGERIES
15 responded - 16%
There was no one dominant type of surgery.  Answers included
General or Unspecific, Tonsils, Pyloric Stenosis, Gallbladder,
Back, Hiatal Hernia, Appendectomy, Breast Biopsy, Abdomen,
Hip Replacement, Bone Marrow Transplant for Leukemia, Face
Reconstruction – toxic chemical exposure, and Endometriosis
Note:  quite a few people did respond they had to take antibiotics
because of surgery.

The #4 Answer:  UNKNOWN
11 responded - 12%

The #5 Answer:  AT BIRTH
6 responded - 6.5%
Comments included: was always sick

Why ponder?  The reason I posted my question in the first place
is because when I was first diagnosed with celiac two years ago,
I quickly concluded my trigger as the flu shot.  This was because
I had full blown celiac symptoms 3 days following the shot.
However, speed forward two years and a few months ago I got sick
from an antibiotic. You may recall my post.  Well, I learned so
much (from all of you) but that got me thinking back and wondering
was my bacteria levels off, did I get a virus or fungi a ways back
and could that have weakened my immunity system.   I recall,
getting sick after my first diet a few years before diagnosis
(eating too much fruit, I thought).  If all that were true then to
eradicate the underlying cause would be paramount to ensure a
continual erosion of my immunity system does not occur.  Maybe,
I can prevent other latent genes from activating.  I say all this
as a non-scientist; just someone who now puts the right attention
on health and proper eating (after a lifetime of not caring)!

Some positive changes I have made in the past few weeks
include: drastically reduced sugar intake (no pop, candy, orange
juice, grape juice, sweet fruits like oranges, grapes, etc.),  no
bottled water (tighter regulations over city water), no Teflon
(toxic, small house birds die), no microwave cooking (up to 90%
of nutrients are lost in microwave processing), taking a probiotic
(acidophilus),consuming more garlic minced not cooked (a natural
antibiotic) and that’s probably enough for now...:>)

God grant me the courage (or willpower) to change the things I can,
Accept the things I cannot change and wisdom to know the difference!

Have a great weekend!
Warm regards,Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC
The Queen City