From:
Cynthia Herndon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Herndon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:19:29 -0500

I received a few emails with suggestions for casual restaurants in downtown
Chicago.  We ended up packing snacks and lunches for my son for most of the
time we were there.  We ate breakfasts and dinners at our hotel which was
in the suburb of Addison.

The Field Museum has a McDonald's right in the building with dedicated
fryers.  We went to the museum in the morning, had lunch at the McDonald's
and then went to the Shedd Aquarium in the afternoon (which is right next
to the museum and I highly recommend seeing).

This is the information I received...

The Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Chicago has a website and if you go
there you will be able to click on the restaurant list and the grocery
list.  Go to www.csagc.cjb.net and you should be able to fi
nd what you
need.

Big Bowl is an Asian restaurant that does a special gf dish for my
daughter in their Lincolnshire restaurant.  Ask them to call the
Lincolnshire location and ask for the manager.  They have something called
"Pam's Special Gluten Free Fried Rice" which is a chicken fried rice with
veggies and unseasoned chicken cooked in sesame oil with salt and pepper and
is very delicious and kid friendly.  Tell them that the recipe is on the
back of the door to the kitchen so they know where to look.  Ask the manager
to write it down so they can duplicate it in Chicago.  We have good luck at
Lone Star and Outback.  They can do a plain steak with a baked potato and a
salad and maybe steamed veggies.  Bring seasoning with you so that you can
put it on his food.  Also, bring and gf bbq sauce, ketchup and whatever else
he likes.

We took our 7 year old celiac daughter to Chicago last Dec.  It was a very
postive e
xperience. We called ahead and took her pizza crust into  Giardanos
pizza (downtown) and it was great!  They were very considerate.  If you all
like ribs, the Twin Anchors is a great place, very casual, I think  Al
Capone used to hang out there!  The ribs and baked potato were great.  Hard
Rock Cafe has good gf grilled chicken (just order it plain) and baked
potato.  If you're by FAO Schwartz, the Ghiradelli's Ice cream is gf and
wonderful!  Everywhere we went people were very understanding and helpful.

Thank you to everyone who sent suggestions.  We really appreciated the help!

Cindy Herndon
Austin, TX